Chap 3- A journey together

Abhinav thought that Akshu had run away from home with her lover. But, keeping that aside he knew that he couldnt leave a pregnant lady alone like that.

"Ji......kahan jaana hai apko?" he asked her.

"Kasauli," she replied.

"Thats wonderful," he said," I am going to Kasauli too. I will drop you there. I just have a little work here and....... "

"No, thank you," she said," I will manage on my own."

"I know," he said," but......I can drop you. Its no big deal. And then, Kasauli from here is still a very long journey. And you are with child. What if you feel sick or dizzy? What if you feel nauseous?"

Akshara thought hard. At this moment, all she wanted was to collapse into Abhimanyu's arms. If only a miracle could change everything. If only Neil had not died, if only.......................

"Akshu......." she heard Abhimanyu's voice and turned around. But no one was there. She stared into the distance and wept.

"Okay," she said to Abhinav," I will come with you."

Akshara and Abhinav boarded a cab and Abhinav asked the driver to drop them at the "Infinity School of Art and Architecture." On arriving there, Abhinav said to Akshara," I just need to submit the forms. It will only take a few hours. We can then leave for Kasauli in the evening."

Akshara nodded and got down from the cab.

BIRLA HOUSE

Manjiri lay on the bed. Neil's childhood videos were playing on the television in front of her. Young Abhi and Neil, about five and three years old were playing with their toys. She saw her younger self happy and joyful with her children.

She slowly got up and switched off the television.

"Mera bachha..........." she wept," Why was Akshu in such a hurry? WHY!........She could have waited..........the police was coming...........But NO! She did what she always does! She didnt listen to anyone. Her arrogance killed my son!"

GURGAON BUS STAND EVENING 7PM

"I am sorry Madamji," Abhinav said to Akshara," It took longer than expected. There were so many students and the queue was too long and.........................."

He sounded genuinely apologetic.

"Its okay," she said softly as they bought their bus tickets to Kasauli," I am too grateful for your help."

"I do not intend on invading your privacy," he said," but may I ask if your family is aware that............"

"That I am all alone boarding a bus to a different city with a stranger?" she said," and that too when I am pregnant?"

"Well," she said," partially yes and partially no. They know that I have left town. But they dont know that I am pregnant."

"You must not be afraid of telling them madamji," he said," on knowing the truth, they will surely give their consent for your marriage with the man of your choice."

"What!" said Akshu," what do you mean?"

"Wait," she said," are you thinking that I have run away from home to marry my lover?"

Abhinav nodded his head in a yes.

"I dont blame you," she said sadly.

"I am very much married," she said,"actually divorced..........I am divorced and starting life afresh."

"Does your husband know about your baby?" he asked her.

"He doesnt," she said," and I doubt he cares now that I am out of his life."

Abhinav helped her get into the bus and they sat down at their respective seats.

"Is there a place in Kasauli I can drop you at?" he asked.

Akshara had googled some homestays in Kasauli while she had been waiting in the college waiting room. She had booked one of them for a week. She gave Abhinav the address.