Chap 9- Akshnav, the beginning

The clouds growled and roared producing monstrous thundering sounds. The winds were blowing fierce and strong and though it was only 6pm, it was beginning to get dark.

Mrs. Sen, the chief coordinator had been more than pleased that Akshara was accompanying the students and she wouldnt have to go. She was delighted to have a free evening for herself.

They drove in the unpleasant weather and Akshara shivered in the cold.

"I should have worn that warm jacket of mine," she thought," but I am eager to thank devi maa for my baby's good health."

"Sabhi bache log baith gaye theek se?"Abhinav asked as he sat down on the drivers seat.

"Yes driver bhaiya," the class prefect said," we are all seated."

Abhinav started driving. The bus travelled on the hilly terrain with a little jerks and jolts. Akshara peeked through the window and felt scared looking at the narrow roads as the bus moved along.

"Abhinav ji...." she called out to him.

"Yes Akshara ji."

"Is the road safe? I mean............"

"I understand that you are not used to these hilly regions," he said," but you can count on my driving Akshara ji. Such a renowned school doesnt hire inexperienced drivers."

Akshara took a deep breath and leaned back on her seat. Almost every person's life, at the moment, depended on Abhinav's driving skills. Driving, a profession we dont often treat with much respect, yet its a skill so significant.

The sky roared with thunder yet again.

"I think we shouldnt have ventured out in such weather," said Akshara, her voice filled with fear and worry,"lagta hai toofaan aane wala hai."

"Kaun kehta hai ki toofan bure hote hain Akshara ji," Abhinav said,"Kanha ji bhi toh aisi hi ek toofaani raat mein aaye the........."

"I agree Abhinav ji," Akshara said and smiled.

"Abhinav ji............" she called out to him again.

"Yes Akshara ji," he replied while driving.

"Muskan kaisi hai," she asked," I hope she is not feeling too homesick."

"She is quite all right Akshara ji. My sister is very brave. She will adapt in the new city very soon."

They soon arrived at the temple. Abhinav parked the bus in the parking lot and both of them made sure that the students safely crossed the road and entered the temple.

Akshara covered her head with her dupatta as she walked in. Looking at the idol of maa durga, she knealt down, bowed her head and closed her eyes.

"Main akele is baby ko kaise badha karoongi maa," she prayed," mujhse nahi hoga. Mujhe bohot dar lag raha hai."

When she opened her eyes, she saw Abhinav making the students fold their hands and say their prayers. She smiled and got up. She took prasad and pandit ji applied tilak on her forehead. As she walked towards the students, she noticed that they were all giggling.

"Bachon itna funny kya hai?" she asked them. But the kids just continued smiling.

"Aapka tilak Akshara ji,"Abhinav said,"its spread all over your forehead."

Akshara touched her forehead and realised that the red tilak was smudged all over it. She was wiping off the smudged tilak with her dupatta when Abhinav stopped her and said," Are aise toh aur phail jayega. Laiye main karta hoon."

He began wiping off the extra tilak from her forehead with his hand when accidently some of it got spread to her maang.

"Sorry Akshara ji," he said noticing her maang filled with red sindoor.

Akshara gave him a questioning look.

"Aapki maang........" he said," wo galti se sindoor wahan lag gya. I am so sorry."

Akshara touched her maang and quickly walked over to the water taps. She watched her face several times and then wiped it with her dupatta. She turned around and looked at Abhinav who was now taking the students back to the bus.

"Pata nahi kya reh gyi hoon main," she said to herself," naa miss na mrs., naa vidhwa naa suhagan. Pati ke hote hue maang bhar nahi sakti, pariwar ke hote hue gairon ke beech reh rahi hoon. Aisa lag raha hai jaise Neil apne saath mera wajood bhi le gya."

"Akshara ji," said Abhinav coming to her," lets leave now. The children are all seated in the bus."

"If you dont mind Akshara ji, may I ask you something."

Akshara nodded.

"Why are you always in these dull colours? I mean..........You will look very beautiful in bright colours. Dont get me wrong Akshara ji, I am not flirting with you. Jo dil mein tha, so keh diya."

"Ab pati ka saath toh raha nahi," she said," toh inhi halke rangon se dosti kar li hai."

"Ab yeh bhi koi baat hui Akshara ji,"he said," maa durga ko  hi dekh leejiye. Unka har roop kitna sundar, sringaar yukt hota hai. Devi seeta ko bhi toh kitne varsh sree raam ke bina rehna padha. Toh kya hua? Sringaar apni marzi hoti hai Akshara ji, married hone ka koi label nahi."

Saying so, Abhinav turned and left. Akshara gave one last look at the idol of maa durga and then followed him outside.