Chap 8- Akshara goes to the doctor

"Now, I shall never see Abhimanyu again," Akshara said sitting down on a huge wooden armchair in her apartment. She said it with grief and pain, not with anger and hatred. In her heart, she still had a glimmer of hope that Abhimanyu would rush to take her back home. But..................................

It had been days and there was neither a call nor text from him. She leaned back and began looking at her wedding pictures. It had been one of the most lavish weddings of Udaipur. Her bridal jewellery was designed by the most famous "Singh Jewellers", her lehenga was designed by a team of expert fashion designers, and above all....she had thought that she was finally getting the life of her dreams- a loving mother Manjiri, a wonderful husband Abhimanyu, a beautiful family and.........And yet none of it worked out for her. Here she was, homeless and abandoned.

BIRLA HOUSE

"Its not possible maa," Abhimanyu said angrily.

"Please understand Abhi," Manjiri pleaded with him," Arohi wants to abort the baby. She says that she cannot raise the child alone. You have to marry her Abhi.....please!"

"I cant maa!" Abhimanyu yelled," she is my brother's wife and..........."

"It was all my fault," Manjiri cried," you were all set to marry Arohi. All the preparations were done. I.....I should have stopped you from going after Akshara.........My Neil would have been alive then. And you would have been happily married to Arohi. That girl ruined my family!"

"Maa please calm down," Abhimanyu said.

"Both of us have lost our children," Manjiri said," marry Arohi please. You will get a family and I will get my Neil's child. Please Abhi, listen to me."

KASAULI

Akshara walked towards the main gate of the school. She was wearing her pink sweater with a cream coloured shawl wrapped tightly over her shoulders.

"Namaste Akshara ji," said Abhinav opening the door of his taxi for her," Sorry I got a bit late. I dropped the children back home."

"Its okay Abhinav ji," she said getting into the taxi," I am so grateful for your help."

"There is a very good nursing home I know of," said Abhinav starting the car,"I was born there."

"Okay," said Akshara.

"Abhinav ji," she said," I am sorry if I am rude in asking you this but......are you married?"

"Why do you ask this Akshara ji?"

"I............." she hesitated before speaking,"I do not want your wife to get any wrong ideas about us. I mean you are helping me again and again and..................."

"I am not yet married Akshara ji," he said as they drove together,"you have absolutely nothing to worry about."

They soon arrived at the nursing home and Akshara got down.

"Aap chaliye Akshara ji," said Abhinav,"I shall find a place to park my taxi."

Akshara went inside the nursing home. The place was noting compared to "The Birla Hospital." There was a tiny desk where the receptionst sat, a few chairs were placed on one side and people sat there waiting for their appointments. The place was compact but tidy. Akshara took her token number and sat down one one of the chairs.

After waiting for about fifteen minutes, she was called into the doctor's chamber. The doctor examined her, took her vitals and blood pressure,did a repeat scan and then prescribed her a few medicines.

She thanked the doctor and walked out. She almost bumped into Abhinav.

"Abhinav ji," she said," what took you so long?"

"I am sorry Akshara ji," he said," but I had to make an important call. I hope your check-up went well?"

"Yes," she said," my baby is fine."

"See," she said showing him the scan,"the doctor told me that here is the beating heart!" She pointed to a particular spot on the scan.

Suddenly, her smile faded. She had dreamt of going through this journey with Abhimanyu and now.....................

"I am happy for you Akshara ji," Abhinav said," now lets take the medicines and go back. Its windy outside. I think it might rain tonight."

"Abhinav ji," she said.

"Yes Akshara ji?"

"Can I come for the temple visit as well? You are taking the children there this evening."

"Sure Akshara ji," he said," Just leave a message for principal mam that you are joining as well. She wont mind at all."