Chap 14- Arohi's request

Abhinav was getting ready to go out. He had received a call from his taxi stand partner that one of the tourists wanted to attend the winter festival that night.

"Papa!" said Abhir rushing to him," I am also coming with you. I also want to attend the winter festival!"

"But its too cold outside nikke ji," Abhinav said," you might fall ill."

"Ab le jaa bhi le usko," Neelamma said sipping her warm turmeric milk,"bechare ka kitna mann hai."

Abhinav nodded. Akshara was preparing dinner along with Muskan. Abhinav looked in her direction for a minute and then looked away the moment he saw Akshara's gaze turn in his direction.

Abhir came to Akshara and said,"Mamma, I am going to the winter festival with papa. Please get me ready."

Akshara nodded and went inside to fetch him some more warm clothes. 

"Bhaiji," Muskan said to Abhinav,"why dont you take bhabhi as well?"

Abhinav looked puzzled. He saw Akshara walking down the stairs carrying his overcoat and a cap and muffler for Abhir.

"Mumma," Abhir said to Akshara," will you come with us? The winter festival will be lots of fun. All our neighbours are going too!"

"Why not," said Akshara making him wear the cap and muffler," and Neelamma and Muskan will come too!"

"No bhabhi," said Muskan rolling her eyes," its too cold out there. It will be bad for Neelamma's arthritic joints. Both of us will stay home and watch Rajesh Khanna's movies!"

Neelamma smiled and said," Tu chali jaa  Akshara. Itne mahino baad toh Abhinav ghar aaya hai. Jaao saath mein ghoom aao."

Akshara looked at Abhinav wondering if she should accompany him and Abhir to the winter festival.

"Koi zabardasti nahi hai Akshara ji,"Abhinav said," if you dont want to come................"

"But," he said blushing slightly," I would be delighted if you accompany us. I mean......Abhir will be delighted."

"Main ready hoke aati hoon," said Akshara suppressing her smile.

THE BIRLA MANSION

Dr. Abhimanyu Birla sat in his bedroom looking at some beautiful pictures that adorned the walls of his room. Pictures that reminded him of his good old days with his family. Memories..........and only memories remained of those golden days.........Neil, his brother, his best friend......was gone forever! One unfortunate incident! And it snatched everything from him....his brother, his babies, his marriage.....EVERYTHING WAS RUINED!

"Abhi," Arohi called out as she entered his room with a tray full of food for him.

"You didnt come down for dinner tonight," she said placing the tray on the table," so I brought you your favourite food!"

"Did maa take her medicines?" Abhimanyu asked her. Arohi nodded.

"Thanks for the dinner," said Abhimanyu drinking some water.

"Its Ruhi's parent teacher meeting tomorrow," Arohi said serving him the food," will you come with me?"

"Sure," he said," why wont I attend my daughter's school meeting?"

Arohi smiled and was about to leave.

"Arohi," Abhimanyu said. She stopped and turned around to face him.

"Why did you blame Akshu for your mother's death? You saw Seerat maa fall down the stairs, didnt you?" he asked.

"Why Abhi?" she said," why do you keep taking her name? She.......she was always a cursed child. She was an infant when her mother Naira passed away. And then, that day.....my mother.........You dont understand Abhi. Whatever I have lost in my life, she has always been the cause. I lost maa because she was there. I lost you because she loved you. I lost my husband because.................Tell me Abhi......You lost your babies, didnt you? Will you ever be able to forgive her?"

"I dont know," he said," but I do regret blaming her for Seerat maa's death when I clearly knew it was not her fault."

"She has moved on Abhi. She remarried, has a son and.......And you are still stuck! Thats not fair Abhi. You deserve to move on!"

"And," she said taking a step closer to him," I am willing to marry you. Bade papa has searched up so many suitable men for me. But I dont want to marry any of them. Anyone can be my husband but none of them can be a father to my daughter. I want to move on with you."

"I need time Arohi," he said firmly.

"I understand," she said wiping her tears and walked away.