Chap 18- Surviving hardships

Abhinav was sleeping with his face towards the wall. Akshara lay wide awake looking at the ceiling. She was just unable to sleep. Abhinav turned in his sleep such that Akshara's braid was now stuck underneath his arm.

"Samajh hi nahi aata ki inke mann mein kya hai," she said to herself,"kabhi toh apne phone ke wallpaper mein meri photo laga lete hain, aur kabhi is tarah muh pher lete hain."

"Akshara ji," Abhinav's voice broke her chain of thoughts. She saw that he was wide awake.

"Kya soch rahi hain aap?" he asked her.

"Nothing," she replied," I just cant sleep."

"I know," he said," I took up too much of the quilt. You must be feeling cold."

Akshara gave him an angry look and said," you are sleeping on the edge of the bed, ready to fall off any minute."

"Distance Akshara ji. Thats what I am trying to maintain."

"But why?" she asked him," its not that we are strangers."

"Abhir ke mummi papa hain hum Akshara ji. Pati patni toh sirf legal documents mein hain."

Saying so, he turned again, his back facing her.

With a heavy heart, Akshara drifted off to sleep.

THE BIRLA MANSION

Abhimanyu wore a grey blazer with a cream pullover. He wore his gold wrist watch and rudraksh bracelet. Sitting down for breakfast, he said to Manjiri,"maa, today Arohi and I are going to be busy in the medical conference. Will you please pick up Ruhi from school?"

Manjiri smiled and nodded.

"Smile toh aise de rahi ho jaise kitni khushi hoti hai tumhe apni grand daughter ki dekhbhal karne mein," Harshvardhan said sarcastically.

Abhimanyu glared at him.

"Dont give me that look Abhimanyu," Harshvardhan said," your mother has done nothing but ruin Ruhi's life!"

"Please dont say that," cried Manjiri.

"It has been six years since Neil died,"Harshvardhan said," why arent you thinking about getting Arohi remarried? Manish ji has been insisting for years now!"

"I........." said Manjiri," I thought........"

"Your son," said Harshvardhan angrily,"did not agree to marry Arohi six years back. And even now, he is not sure. Listen up Dr. Abhimanyu Birla, there is a very good family living here in Udaipur. Their son is a divorcee and a cardiac surgeon. They are coming to meet Arohi next week. If you do not make up your mind until then........"

"Please dont do this," cried Manjiri,"Abhi say something please......................"

HOTEL GULMOHAR GRAND

"Jaldi chaliye Akshara ji," said Abhinav,"the housekeeping supervisor Ms. Meeta is in her office at the moment. Its a good time to speak with her."

Abhinav looked in through the glass door and said," she is right in there! Come on quick Akshara ji. Lets have a word with her."

Akshara went inside followed by Abhinav. Siddhi was already present there.

"So you are Mrs. Akshara," said Ms. Meeta looking at her. Akshara nodded.

"I see. Siddhi told me that you want to join the housekeeping staff. But.....you have a child with you. So how are you going to manage?"

Akshara looked puzzled. Her mind went back to a time, years ago.

FLASHBACK

"How are you going to manage Akshara?" Manjiri said," your pregnancy is already so complicated and.....................I dont think you should go for this recording."

FLASHBACK ENDS

"Manage ho jayega madam ji," Abhinav said," In the daytime, I will take Abhir with me to pick up the guests. And......"

"And I will look after him when Akshara has her night shifts," said Siddhi warmly.

Ms. Meeta smiled and said," Its okay with me. You can join from this evening Mrs. Akshara."