Chap 17- Kaise mujhe tum mil gye

It was almost midnight when Abhir and Akshara arrived in Udaipur. The hotel Gulmohar Grand sparkled like it was studded with a million stars. The chauffers were busy driving the guests to the hotel, the hotel manager was greeting all the guests while the receptionist was attending all the guests with a peaceful smile on her face.

Akshara's gaze fell on her faded saree with a worn out pallu. There was a time when she wore designer clothes and heavily embroidered dupattas. A time when she too would have been one of these guests coming for a stay in such a luxurious hotel.

But that time was gone now. She dialled Abhinav's number.

"I am outside the hotel at the moment," he replied," I am picking up some guests from the airport. But there is this housekeeping girl Ridhi. She is coming to take you to our room."

"Are you Mr. Abhinav's wife?" a young girl about nineteen years old walked upto Abhir and Akshara.

"Mr. Abhibav has requested me to take you to staff quarters."

Abhir and Akshara followed Ridhi. They soon left the luxurious hotel gallery and walked down to the basement. Towards the end of the basement, there was a small dark passage. The three of them walked through that passage and arrived at a small cottage.

"There are three rooms in here," said Ridhi pointing towards the cottage," my sister and I share one room, Mr

"There are three rooms in here," said Ridhi pointing towards the cottage," my sister and I share one room, Mr. Rajesh with his wife and daughter share one room and the third room belongs to you. All rooms have separate washrooms but the kitchen and living area are common. Just ring the bell. My sister will open the door and show you your room."

Akshara thanked Ridhi and walked up the creaking wooden steps dragging her suitcase behind her. Abhir followed as well. She rang the bell and a young girl opened the door.

"Ridhi?" said Akshara surprised to see her.

"No," the girl said," I am Siddhi. We are twins you see. Come on in quick. Its pretty cold outside."

Abhir and Akshara walked in. The inside of the cottage was old but clean. The floor was tiled with brownish white tiles and the walls were painted in a very light shade of orange. An old chandeleir hung from the ceiling and an old bamboo sofa was placed in the living room.

"And that," said Siddhi pointing towards one of the doors," is your room. I have made tea and dinner for you both. Its warm and on that shelf. Make yourselves comfortable and let me know if you need anything else. And if you dont mind preparing breakfast for me tomorrow morning as I have an early morning shift."

Akshara smiled and thanked her. She and Abhir then walked into their room.

The room was small but clean

The room was small but clean. There was a huge wooden cupboard on one side and a steel trunk on the other. The lighting was dim but sufficient. Akshara unpacked their stuff and helped Abhir take a bath. She then served him dinner and put him to bed. It was almost half past one when she walked out of the washroom with her wet hair wrapped in a towel.

"Abhinav ji abhi tak nahi aye," she said to herself.

"Kahan hain aap?" she sent him a message.

About an hour later, her phone rang.

"Please open the door Akshara ji," Abhinav said over the phone," I do not want to ring the bell and disturb everyone."

Akshara rushed to open the door. Abhinav looked terribly tired. He was wearing a light green sweater with grey muffler. He walked inside closing the door behind him.

"So," she said bringing a hot jug of milk and some cookies for him," it was a busy day today."

"Yes Akshara ji," he said sitting down on the old wooden chair in the living room.

"That girl Ridhi," said Akshara," she is in the housekeeping department, isnt it?"

Abhinav nodded and said," yes and her twin sister Siddhi too."

"If you dont mind," said Akshara adding sugar to his glass of milk," is it possible for me to join the housekeeping department as well?"

"That wont be an issue," he said sipping the milk," you can cook and clean and.....you are sincere in your work but..............You are highly educated Akshara ji. Why dont you find a job that suits your calibre?"

Akshara said nothing.

Abhinav's gaze fell on  her mehendi.

"This mehendi fellow did a really good job," he said blushing slightly.

Akshara looked at her hands.

"It was my idea," she said.

"What?" he asked.

"The design Abhinav ji. It was my idea."

"I see," he said sounding confused. He said nothing more but Akshara noticed a soft smile on his lips.

"I will sleep here," he said.

"In the living room?" she said.

He nodded.

"No!" she said," its too cold here and what will everybody think."

"But Akshara ji. We dont have a spare bed or mattress in our room."

"And you know very well," he said," that Nikke ji hates sleeping in between."

"Abhir is sleeping on the couch," she said," he likes it very much and it is big enough for him."

Abhinav looked embarassed.

"Aise muh pherke kya khade hain," she said," we can share one bed and one quilt. I mean..........."

"I know," said Abhinav," we both can face towards the walls then. I mean we will have our backs turned to each other."

"What!" said Akshara.

"I mean for privacy," said Abhinav, his cheeks turning crimson.

Akshara started laughing.

"Kya kar rahi hain Akshara ji. Sab jaag jayenge."

"Aap baat hi aisi kar rahe hain Abhinav ji. Aap bhi naa!"