Chapter Twenty Six

Lyra

"Hi, Lyra." Mel greeted me as she let me into the house.

"Hi, Mel." I smiled.

"They're downstairs. But before you go I just wanted to let you know I called your sister today about the Christmas trip." I froze and stared at her before she continued. "I left her message."

"Oh, thank you."

I told both Teddy and Sasha multiple times that I couldn't go. Lilian was going to be so upset with me. I had to go home now.

I thanked Mal before quickly making my way down to the basement. Teddy, Sasha and River were sitting on the couches playing some video games on the tv.

"Teddy, can we talk?" I asked from the bottom of the stairs, arms crossed.

He and Sasha turned to look at me before he got up. River turned his head slightly, looking at me from the corner of his eye.

"What's up, Ly?" He smiled.

"Did you tell your mom I could go on the trip?"

His face dropped slightly before he started rubbing the back of his neck. "There's a slight possibility that interaction occurred."

"I told you I couldn't. Many times."

"I'm sorry. I thought we could convince you or your sister."

Any anger I had quickly turned to fear. They couldn't talk to Lilian. I'd lose my friends, Lilian would make them hate me somehow. She wouldn't miss an opportunity to do that.

"I can't go, Teddy." I crossed my arms.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

"I'll see you tomorrow."

He grabbed my arm gently so I couldn't leave. "Please don't be mad. We just want you there with us. Being away from you for twenty days would suck." He whispered, "You make Sash so happy. And you're one of my best friends."

The look in his eyes made me want to forget about this whole thing. Teddy was gentle, he never meant any harm. He just oversteps boundaries at times.

"I'll see you tomorrow. I'm not mad, just have to go."

I pulled into the driveway, sighing as the rocks beneath the car crackled.

Her car was there. Just hers. Alec's car wasn't here.

I let out a shaky breath, gathered my stuff and got out of the car. The small walk to the door felt like an eternity.
When I walked in, I found Lilian coming around the corner with a basket. She stopped when she saw me.

By the way the corners of her lips began to fall, and her happy expression changed, it was clear she had heard Mel's message. 

"Lyra, you're home. Finally."

I nodded. "Yeah. I have homework."

"We need to talk. In the living room now."

I gulped as my stomach turned before I followed her to the living room.

"What the fuck are you doing with joints, a half empty bottle of rum, and fucking condoms." She held up the small black backpack that was in the basket.

Sasha had left her bag here and she just keeps forgetting to take it with her when she comes over.

"Why were you in my room?"

"Because of this! I knew you were drinking and doing drugs. That's why I went to look. And condoms? Who the hell are you having sex with? I'm calling your friend's parents."