Chapter Twenty-Three: Waking To Nothing

Langston Hughes is famous for his true poetry and the dimensions he covers across his beautiful words. He was a strong believer in dreams and appreciating them. "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." Is a quote of his that has always stuck with me. This quote drives my inspiration each day, but sadly this quote wasn't enough for the dream dying before me. The quote wasn't enough to stop the dream from withering in my grasps. The quote, simply couldn't prepare me.

It didn't prepare me.

"Jess, Jess! Babygirl get up! Come one, up!" I squeal, playfully pulling the comforter from between her grasp.

She groans, desperately trying to keep her eyelids tightly shut. I can only giggle at her stubbornness. She won't be too stubborn for long though.

It's Christmas, nearly a month after little Noah's birth. I'm ecstatic. This will be my first Christmas as a Christian. Even after converting from being a Jehovah witness, I took me awhile to feel comfortable claiming this new religion of Christianity. But, today I more than confident and ready to celebrate the infamous "Christmas".

If only Misses Claus would wake up.

"Mama, up. Up and Adams. Ain't enough sleep in the world!" I chuckle, slyly reaching beneath her palms for a good grip of her pillow.

When she rises to scowl at me, I quickly snatch the pillow from beneath her head and wiggle it in her face. All the while she glares at me, obviously trying to stifle a giggle. Still much into my jig, I throw in a few of my stage signatures-including my Moonwalk. It doesn't take long of my dancing before Jesse swings up, tossing my pillow at my head. I quickly dodge it, allowing the silk-cased pillow to smack against our wall clock.

"You knew that was a bad idea before you even threw that. Now what if you would've broke it?" I tease, slowly walking up to her as she stretches.

Her arms tense up towards the sky, her mouth widening as she lets out a long, high-pitched yawn. I only wait patiently until she's done with her over dramatic stretching. When she playfully smacks her lips together, I return her playfulness and gently pull her closer and nuzzle our noses together. Just a little romance in Christmas.

"If I would've broke it, who would've punished me?" She teases, arching an eyebrow with challenge.

I open my mouth to put her in her place, I'm quickly silenced to the weakening wail of no other than our little Noah. Not giving Jesse another wink, I quickly release her waist and jog out of our bedroom. Once down the hall, I bump into Bill who is also rushing towards Noah's nursery. After exchanging awkward chuckles and apologies, we continue entering the nursery at the aid of a screeching Noah.

"Aw... Little guy, come on. Daddy's here. See me? I'm here. It's okay, everything's okay..." I lull, carefully removing the little infant.

Noah is a little small thing and it scares me. I have rather large hands, and I'm always afraid of accidentally crushing him within my hands. The doctors and nurses swear his of average size for a newborn, but I think he's a bit smaller than this so called "average". Yet even still, we are truly blessed to have him.

"Look at you... Sometimes I swear you do have common sense..." Bill chuckles, making goofy faces at Noah.

I continue rocking Noah, slowly rubbing the middle of his back, listening to the adorable sounds of his cooing. My blessing.

"So uh... June called early, early this morning. She wanted to know if her and Jordy can come over for today?" Bill seemingly forces out.

I catch his eye roll once I turn around to face him. This has been my dilemma for a month now. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the Chandlers without getting my fingers dirty. But, it seems like all my efforts are failing. I've tried pushing them away, but they just inch closer. I hate how much of a pushover I'm allowing myself to be.