five

"I just don't get how a baby can be a key," Kai said, partially to himself

A lot had happened since that morning. After an intense motorcycle chase, Zane had been left for dead in the deserts of Ninjago. Cole had miraculously made his way back and brought a little present as well, one that would've given Y/n a heart attack. She hadn't been seen since the early afternoon.

Kai explained that she had left in a hurry, panicked and sobbing.

No one knew where she was, and her tracker had gone silent as soon as she'd left the ship. Y/n was pretty well know for her tracker-obliterating hurricanes, so wherever she had gone, she must've gone by storm.

Later that evening, the team had found Zane and winched him up into the ship, badly injured. Pixal couldn't do much for him, leaving the healing process mostly up to Zane alone.

"I don't either, but that's what they said," Cole shrugged in reply to Kai's comment. "They called him the key to the third mask."

"If Cole's right, we need to disappear," Lloyd said urgently. "Get as far away from Ninjago City as we can."

"Hmm. Doesn't seem right. Abandoning Ninjago City," Jay pointed out.

"We're not abandoning. There are others who will protect her," their team leader assured.

Kai raised a nicked brow. "Like who?"

"There's always Samurai X," Nya offered. "Whoever that is."

"Whoever it is, they're going to have to cover for us until we get a handle on things," Lloyd cut in. "Pixal, set a new course. Anywhere but here."

The baby behind them began to bawl.

"Maybe he's thirsty," suggested Lloyd. "Give him some milk."

"I tried. He doesn't like milk," Cole said.

"What else do babies drink?" Jay asked frantically as the baby started to screech.

"Don't ask me," Kai deflected. "Ask him." He gestured exasperatedly to the little wad of blanket and tears.

"He's a baby!" Cole cried. "He hasn't learned how to talk yet."

"Oh! Maybe he needs a diaper change," Jay proposed.

"Oh my gosh. Do we even have diapers?" Cole shouted into the void.

"Why would we have diapers? We're ninja!"

"Ooh!" Jay cooed. "Maybe we can use one of our hoods instead."

"Not my hood," Kai denied immediately.

"We'll draw straws," Lloyd decided. "Loser gives up their hood."

As the boys prepared to sacrifice someone's precious hood to the horrors of an un-potty-trained member of society, the fuss quieted down. They turned to see Harumi cradling the child, singing it a soft lullaby.