nine

The squad had gathered at Dareth's tavern to celebrate their latest victory

The squad had gathered at Dareth's tavern to celebrate their latest victory. Nya, Cole, Zane, Kai, and Jay crammed together on the small stage, each grasping a microphone. Stupidly wide grins adorned their faces, and they were floating on cloud nine.

"It's time for training and we're getting started~ It's on, you know. And we wanna see you whip and shout it~" they sang together.

Of course, they weren't all that good, but no one really cared.

"We rock!" Nya shouted alone.

She leaned away from her mic as the others responded, "You roll!"

They all joined together again. "They say, go slow~ And everything just stands so still. We say, go go~"

Their smiles infected even Y/n, who was watching from the rafters. Since things had quieted down, she'd had time to think about how the Sons of Garmadons had captured her. She was beginning to question a lot of things.

"We're ready for the fight, we know the drill~" transitioned Nya.

"It seems so long ago. This part is-" Jay anticipated. "Okay, listen."

"Okay, here it comes," Cole said.

The ninja belted their hearts out, grinning madly. "They say, go slow~ And everything just stands so still. We say, go go~ You're gonna see us rip into it! We just jump up, kick back, whip around, and spin~!"

Even little Wu clambered onto the stage to dance around with them, giggling with glee.

"That must be a strange sight. To see someone you've known for so long suddenly look so young," Pixal empathized with Misako.

"He always had a young soul," Misako told her. "At least he's happy."

"Not everyone is happy."

Misako walked to comfort her isolated son.

"You cared for her, didn't you?" she guessed, leaning on the railing with him.

"What does it matter?" he deflected.

"It mattered to you," Misako said. "Bruises go away. Bones break and heal. But getting your heart broken? Take time to mourn, but don't let it destroy you. If you bury what's good about you beneath a hard shell, you'll turn out no better than Harumi."

Meanwhile, Pixal scaled the walls to reach Y/n in the rafters. They'd never been too close, but they were still teammates.

"Hey, Pix," she greeted with a half-smile.

"Hello, Y/n. Is something on your mind?" questioned the android.

Y/n looked down at her hands. "I've been thinking about when the Sons of Garmadon caught me. Well, more like how they caught me."

Pixal, taking her words a little too literally, said, "In a vengestone net, I'm guessing?"

Y/n chuckled a little. "Sorry for laughing. Um, no. And yes. Oh, this is so messy . . ." she groaned. "They lured me in by sending a letter that told me my father was dying in the hospital."