nineteen

i may or may not have another book planned for when i finish this one 👀

It was really becoming routine now. Faith and company were tied to a wooden tripod with a length of chain (which Hunters had an unhealthy obsession with, they'd learned), unprotected and baking under the midday sun.

Kai sighed at the sight of shadows circling them. The shadows of birds. "I hope that's your Falcon, Zane."

"My receptors pick up that that is a avian scavenger, a harbinger of our approaching demise," Zane said matter-of-factly, sharp as ever since nindroids couldn't get dehydrated.

"It's a Bonepicker, and Zane is right," Faith confirmed grimly.

Jay groaned. "Why does Zane always have to be right? Can't it just be enough that we're tied to giant poles in the middle of the desert?! And don't forget Wu's being held hostage to help Iron Baron find the all-powerful Dragon Armor, and we haven't heard from Y/n since she got airlifted by a wind dragon! Can't that be enough?!"

Cole perked up at the mention of his sister. "Wait, can't she help, then? Iron Baron doesn't know she's in there yet. If we could somehow tell her to hide the armor . . ."

"With what, your twin telepathy?" pointed out Jay. "It's hopeless."

Kai nudged Jay in the shoulder, and since they were all bound together, sent a domino ripple through them. "Look. Something's going on."

They were quite the distance away, but the ninja managed to catch some snippits of Jet Jack's conversation. "Not again . . . come outside! . . . stop questioning me." Muzzle grumbled in retaliation. "Oh, come on!" Jet Jack hissed.

"Probably arguing about which one of us to eat first," Jay sighed.

Faith blinked. "Dragon Hunters do not eat people."

"Well, that's good to know, Faith," Jay said sarcastically. "So, it isn't all bad."

"This is our chance, while they're distracted," Kai suggested. "Let's see if we can get these poles rocking by rocking our bodies from side to side." He kicked his feet out and swayed, trying to rock the tripod.

"Yeah, I'm not doing that," Cole deadpanned.

"That . . . won't be helpful," agreed Zane, watching the fire ninja squirm.

"Guys, come on," Kai urged, trying to get them to join his cult of oscillating legs. "Teamwork. If we all do it together . . ." He swung his feet up again, the previously skeptical men joining in.

Faith sighed at their feeble efforts. "I hope the Son of the Spinjitzu Master figures something out, because this is ridiculous."

Jay shrugged and followed in the footsteps of his brothers. "Hey, it's better than nothing."

ଘ(੭ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ✩‧₊

Wu and the Iron Baron tread carefully over the rough terrain leading up to the den of Firstbourne, following the crudely drawn map they had religiously.