xix.

chapter nineteen.

Matthias and Rhea both felt it the instant that it came, it was like a signal had been sent to them and a chill ran up their spine before they were running towards one another to confirm this feeling.

"Did you feel it too?!"

The question left their lips simultaneously and they knew that they weren't wrong in this thought that something had happened to their children.

At that moment, Niklaus had come running after his brother followed by Aurora. He could feel Matthias' distress and knew that he had to be there for him. "Brother, what is it?"

"It's the twins." Matthias said and Niklaus' expression hardened. "Something's happened."

Niklaus motioned them towards Vincent's office, the man in question was thankfully inside and didn't question it when the four entered and locked the door behind them. He simply motioned them towards the vacant couches while continuing his work, them entering randomly was normal to him after all these years together.

"What happened?" Niklaus asked once they were seated.

"You remember how we taught the kids how to send distress signals?" Matthias asked and Nik nodded his head. "Malik sent one."

"Have you gone to the location it was sent from?" He asked his brother worriedly.

Matthias shook his head. "We haven't yet, we're about to."

"We must hurry then." Aurora spoke up while holding Rhea's shaking hands in her own. "We'll find them." She promised and Rhea could only send her a shaky smile.

Vincent knew that there was no stopping them, that they would go regardless but he couldn't let them all go. "Matthias should go with Bonnie." He said and they all looked at him like he was crazy. "Listen," He told them calmly. "If the kids see that you four are gone, they're going to go after you, Hope and Natalie will follow and the last thing you want is getting involved entirely when we don't know what's happened to the twins."

He was right, they knew that he was right, but it was bothersome still.

Rhea nodded her head with a sigh. "You should go." Rhea told her husband. "I wouldn't be able to tap into the signature properly due to the stress."

Stress wasn't good for the baby.

Yes, Rhea Mikaelson was expecting, and they were going to announce it at their wedding anniversary dinner in two weeks. She was two months along now and had only found out a week ago when she noticed the signs which she had just written off as stress but that wasn't the case in the end when her favorite things suddenly made her nauseous.

Matthias knew what she meant and nodded his head. "Alright, I'll go with Bonnie when she gets in soon."

Nodding their heads, they soon left the office and weren't surprised to find Hope and Natalie waiting outside of the office for them. However, they knew that they couldn't say anything, they couldn't risk the two running off in search of their cousins. Niklaus couldn't risk something happening to the children, Katerina would have his head if something happened to Natalie while she and Kai were out searching for the twins.

"Did you find something?" Hope asked her dad hopefully while holding onto Natalie's hand.

"No." Matthias lied with a sigh and kept his emotions in check. "I'm going to meet with Bonnie and Marcel, but we haven't heard anything yet."

"They'll come home, right?" Natalie asked them worriedly. "They've never done this before."

Rhea gave the girl a smile and nodded her head. "I do. Come, let me tell you the time that they ran away from home to save Aunt Hayley."