xxix.

chapter twenty-nine.

Malik and Rina Mikaelson awoke with a gasp, their hearts were racing in sync, but it was Malik who felt different. Malik placed his hand over his racing heart and nearly sobbed at the feeling within him, he wasn't sure how he knew, but he knew that Henrik had saved him.

"Mal?" Rina called out to him, and Malik turned his head to look at her. "Is Uncle Henrik gone?"

Malik didn't know what to answer her, he could see the tears streaming down her face and feel his own fall down his face. He wanted to tell her no, that they could definitely save him, but that wasn't possible. Henrik had given Malik his soul for him to not change into a tribrid, if Malik and Rina were to dare try and resurrect Henrik, Malik would have to be a sacrifice for the spell, Malik would have to give up his humanity for Henrik.

Now, this wasn't something that they knew about of course. There was no way that the two would know the risks that would need to be taken in order to bring back Henrik into the world of the living.

For now, the twins only knew that Henrik was gone.

A sob ripped from Malik's mouth, something so unexpected that it had Rina scrambling over to her brother and pulling him into her arms just as a sob of her own ripped out from her own body. The two cried together, their bodies shaking as they tried to calm down, but they couldn't. They had just met Henrik Mikaelson, they had heard numerous stories about the boy and how much he meant to Niklaus and Matthias, they knew that the two still harbored guilt for his death, and this... now Malik couldn't help but feel guilty for being the one who had to be saved.

"We have to get out of here." Rina finally spoke after calming herself down. "Mal." She called out to him, but Malik felt as if he couldn't breathe.

Was this what guilt was? This suffocating feeling in his chest that felt as if it would crush him at any moment? Was this guilt?

"Mal!" Rina shouted and Malik forced himself to look at her. "Henrik would've wanted us to get out of here." She told him and that only hurt Malik more. "I know that you feel guilty, but we made a promise to him." Malik nodded his head, he began to take deep breaths and Rina smiled softly. "There you go, now, let's go and make sure that Alistair never gets away with this."

Slowly standing on their feet, they then noticed that all their wounds had been healed. There was no signs of them having ever been injured and they didn't know if that was a good thing or not. Though they could see the scars, despite being healed, their body was now scarred and while they were sure there was a spell to change that, they didn't mind the scars.

"I'm going to kill him." Malik promised as they slowly crept towards the door.

They weren't locked in the cell from before, it was different, more hidden as if no one was meant to find them.

"I don't think he realized that we're tribrid's like Hope." Rina whispered. "I mean, honestly who the fuck kills two kids who could possibly be tribrid's."

"Wait, then what did he think we were?" Malik wanted to laugh, he didn't understand Alistair's thinking either. "I think he's an idiot."

Rina hummed with a small smile before frowning slightly. "Do you hear that?"

Malik tapped into his heightened hearing, and he could hear what she was hearing, the sound of people whispering to one another, whispers of promises and reassurances. He shared a look with Rina before they dared to venture out, if there were other captives then they could use that to their advantage in escaping.

The hallway almost looked never ending but both knew that it was spelled to look that way. Rina easily lifted her hand and placed it on the wall, Malik watched as her hand glowed red to signify that she was siphoning the magic out of the building. Malik also did the same, while the two didn't need the juice, they could use it to their advantage as well.