xlii.

chapter forty-two.

Malik and Iris thought they were prepared for the backlash of their actions, they really did, but they were not.

When Hope Mikaelson drags you into an empty classroom full of your friends demanding answers, well, you know that anything, but the truth will make them happy.

"So, want to explain why half the school thinks that you're dating?" Natalie asked while crossing her arms over her chest and raising an eyebrow at them. "Yesterday y'all were fighting and now you're dating?"

Malik and Iris shared a look, they had talked about what they were going to say, the truth obviously, but then Iris pointed out how that make them angry and went after Taylor which while it wouldn't be so bad, but Iris didn't want that. Whereas Malik on the other hand, didn't care.

"We're dating." Malik shrugged while throwing his arm over Iris' shoulder and pulling her to his side which prompted the girl to start blushing. "It kind of happened last night."

Mouths were wide open, and eyes were wide open, the group (Rafael, MG, Natalie, Hope, and Rina) couldn't believe what they were hearing right now. Malik and Iris, were dating...

"Say what now?" Rina asked with wide eyes.

Of course, it was a lie, a lie that neither of the two minded to continue until Malik left for New York at the end of the year. It was only until the end of the school year in a month. That wouldn't be so bad, right?

"Look, things happened, one thing lead to another and-" Malik started, and Iris quickly covered his mouth.

Her eyes were wide as her face was as red as a cherry. "Stop talking, oh my god."

Now, any other time, this would have been amusing but the group just couldn't wrap their heads around this.

"Malik, Iris." Hope called out to them. "Explain, now."

Iris gave Malik a look and the boy rolled his eyes at her before looking back at their friends. Iris looked at them and gave them a small smile. "Malik was helping me with spells last night, I needed a fresh pair of eyes, and we just kind of kissed." She told them.

Malik looked at her with wide eyes, now he hadn't even had his first kiss yet. Well, he did, it was with Josie when they were like nine but that didn't count to Malik since he had given Josie CPR when she somehow managed to drown on their trip to the bayou when the school merger was happening. He had cried about it to his mother, scolding her and the other teacher for not making sure all the kids were accounted for, Rhea had promised him that it didn't count.

So, to him, it didn't count, his mother had said so.

"You and Malik kissed?" Hope asked her incredulously. "Malik had his first kiss with you?"

This was news to Iris as she turned towards him with wide eyes, Malik was looking away, but she could see the tint of red on his cheeks. She knew that they weren't selling this whole dating act, she knew that they would call their bluff and while that's not a problem, Iris really didn't want anyone bothering her once it spread throughout the school that she's close to a Mikaelson.

"If you're fake dating then just say that." Hope spoke up with a sigh. "We don't really care either way, we just want to know the truth."

Iris and Malik shared a look before Malik nodded at her. However, while Iris thought that he was nodding at her to come clean, he really meant the opposite.

If there was something to know about Malik, it was that he didn't like being teased and while he was sure his Uncle Kol would tease him for finally getting a girlfriend, the endless teasing he'd get from his Aunt's for being in a fake relationship was something he would never live down.