xxv.

chapter twenty-five.

Hope's eyes fluttered open, she expected to see Rafael, Diego, and maybe even Natalie but instead it was cold and dark. She was lying on the floor and there was fog everywhere which confused her even more.

She stood up on and looked around before she heard the creaking of wood. "Raf? Diego? Nat?" She called out while walking forward. "Who's there?"

The further that she walked, the more prominent that she saw a white light.

There on the docks, was a man, no not a man, he was the ferryman to the afterlife. He would take Hope across the lake and into the light, all she had to do was step on the boat with him.

He gestured to the boat and then to the light, but Hope was confused. "Am I supposed to go there to complete the transition?" She asked him and frowned when he shook his head. "I don't understand. What is it?" She asked him again before it hit her. "Is that- is that peace?" The being didn't reply, and Hope was getting annoyed. She walked forward until she was in front of him. "So, let me ask you again... is that boat supposed to bring me to peace?" It nodded its head. "There has to be a catch."

It then held out its hand and Hope knew that it was too good to be true. "And boom." She scoffed. "I didn't bring any money with me, I kind of died before I could grab my purse." She told him flatly before he then pointed at her neck, to the necklace that she's worn since she was a child. "This is priceless to me." She told him while clutching it tightly in her hand. "I can't, I'm sorry."

Hope looked around, it didn't make sense to her. Nothing about this made sense, how was she supposed to get back?

"Who are you?" A voice called out and Hope spun around to see unfamiliar faces.

A woman with long blonde hair and green eyes looked at her, but Hope couldn't help but feel like she's seen this woman before. It was odd since Hope was sure that she's never met this woman before in her life. Beside her was man, he wore a suit, and something struck inside of Hope at the sight of him.

"Who are you?" Hope shot back at her while making sure to keep the distance.

"Freya." The woman told her, and Hope's heart sunk. "And this is my brother Elijah, now, who are you?"

"Hope." Hope almost whispered but they heard her. "Hope Mikaelson."

Elijah and Freya's eyes widened as they took in Hope's long brown hair with green eyes that reminded them of Niklaus and Hayley. She had Hayley's cautious attitude, but god could they feel the confidence that Nik also held.

She was truly their daughter.

"My god." Freya gasped while covering her mouth. "I haven't seen you since you were a child." She said and took a step forward, but Hope backed away from her.

"Why are you here?" Elijah asked her softly while snapping out of his daze.

"I died." Hope told her while hugging herself. "I was just about to go back to complete the transition."

"Into a tribrid." Freya hummed before a laugh left her lips. "Can we talk with you, please?" She asked and Hope was apprehensive. "Please, I just want to know you."

Hope shook her head. "You betrayed my family, you and Elijah." Hope reminded her while glaring at the ashamed looking Elijah. "You want to know me? Then know that I love my family, that I will protect them, always and forever, even if it kills me." She promised before turning around and diving into the water.

Freya watched her go and there was a small smile on her face as she did so. She turned to look at Elijah who simply looked sad like always. "Come brother, may we meet them in peace."