I'm a guy

"Urgh... this is hard." The white bandages that I was wrapping around my chest was slipping around while I tried to hold it in place. It has been quite a few days or even weeks since I was staying in the Yagi house and to be honest, I'm going to die sooner or later because I'm too bored.

I decided to go on a patrol, of course, in secret. Hijikata-san wouldn't allow me to go on a patrol with any of the captains just because I'm a girl. Talk about being sexist. I gave it a one last pull and the bandage finally is secure in place. I've manage to secure my chest in place and flatten it quite a lot so that I look like a guy. I wore the Shinsengumi uniform which I took from a random room and took a katana with me. I wore a handkerchief over half of my face.

"Is everybody here?" I heard Shinpachi's voice calling for confirmation of the unit. I ran outside to join them with my head held low, luckily for me, Shinpachi was talking to Heisuke when I arrived so I was not inspected by him. The patrol was just like taking a walk in a park, it's just making sure everything is safe. Just when I thought about how easy it was, I spotted a few ronins threatening a shop owner. It seems like only I've noticed it.

What am I supposed to do now?! Do I inform Shinpachi or do I help them by myself? I should have asked them on what to do before we came out...

"Ahh!" A young boy who looked around my age yelped when the ronin struck his father down but luckily, the slash was not near anywhere vital organs. Unable to take it anymore, I ran forward to help them.

"Hey! Pick on someone your own size!" They turned to look behind them... and then down. When they did, they snicker. Sure I wasn't that tall but they don't have to give me that expression... I was pissed off.

"Like who?" They laughed. I kicked their leader's shin, causing him to bend down in pain.

"Like me! See? Now we're about the same height." I say while smirking, agitating them.

"Why you-!" He noticed my light blue haori and his eyes widen in surprise before continuing. "You're in Shinsengumi? With a pretty face like yours? Looks like the Shinsengumi has fallen quite low!" Not able to take it anymore, I drew my katana and slash their clothes.

"Hah! It didn't even hurt-!" Before they could finish their sentence, their hakama fell down, exposing their bottom. Their faces was red with both embarrassment and anger. When they were about to attack me, Shinpachi stood in front of me and struck them down, of course, using the back of the katana. It would be troublesome to clean up after dead bodies anyway. Or more accurately, the blood that splatters all over.

Oh no... I better hide my face.

"What do you think you are doing acting on your own?!" Here comes the scolding... I looked down on the ground and kept my silence, afraid that he'll recognize me. I look like I was repenting don't I?

"Em... wait. I've never seen you around in my unit before..." He thought for a while before scrutinising me.

"Who are you?" He was ready to pull out his katana. Plan B! Run for my own life before I get caught!