What A Feeling

Being friends after a break-up. That was something that Belly never thought she and Conrad could be. The couple broke up in April after Conrad's mother's cancer got so bad that nobody could really tell how things would end. Belly wanted to be there for Conrad more than anything, but his heartache was too much to deal with. She was standing in the late afternoon sun, the wind blowing her hair in all directions. The first words that the boy she loves said when he saw her for the first time was 'what is she doing here' and inside, that broke Belly. It felt the same. Seeing Conrad felt like her heart was slowly breaking yet picking it up on its own again. Belly had sat down on the beach as she smiled remembering the memories she had made at this beach.

At this place she had fallen in love for the first time, she's had her first boyfriend, her first kiss. Her heart had gotten broken for the first time. She got drunk for the first time, and she had her first time. A lot of firsts.

Belly heard the wind blowing, hard enough to not hear that someone was sitting down next to her. She saw as it was Conrad, and he looked like the world was heavy on his shoulders. They weren't losing the house, but in a way it felt like they had lost nearly everything else. Belly felt like she lost everyone that mattered to her.

"Have you and Jere made up? You guys need one another," Conrad said as Belly looked at him exhaling.

Belly and Conrad both made Jeremiah mad after they had first kissed. Their relationship was something they didn't see coming nor was the kiss. But the relationship that Belly had with Conrad was a feeling she had never felt. She felt electric. Belly had looked at Conrad and shook her head while she looked up at the sky.

"No. He still hates me," Belly said.

"He doesn't hate you. Nor do I," Conrad said as Belly looked at him.

"I don't hate you either. I love you," Belly said as Conrad looked at her, surprised to still hear the words.

When he and Belly saw each other at the funeral things didn't go according to plan and it was all just that one day that nobody really spoke about. Conrad smiled and looked at Belly, as he gently took her hand in his, as she looked at him.

"I love you too," Conrad said as Belly smiled and laid her head on his shoulder.

"I know I shouldn't have just left off. I know school is important and I know I can't become a doctor if I don't have a degree. I'll go back. I just need a few days on my own. Trusky is driving me insane," Conrad said.

"Is he snoring loudly again?" Belly asked.

"Asking questions, about whether I'm okay or not, and I don't want to answer them just yet," Conrad said as Belly exhaled.

"You're not okay, but I'm also not going to force you to tell me what you feel. You tell me what you feel when you feel ready. No sooner than that. I'll talk to Jeremiah if he bothers you" Belly said.

"What a feeling, hey? Sitting here on the beach again," Conrad said as Belly smiled.

Both of them knew what Conrad was talking about. Their last time when they were at this beach was in the winter, right after Christmas. Conrad and Belly came up to see the snow falling on the beach, but the couple had shared an unforgettable night there as well. Belly remembered how soft Conrad was with her, not taking anything too fast. He wanted her to feel comfortable. The only light that they had was the fire burning and the flames showing on their skin. It was a magical memory that Belly still carried with her every day of her life.

"After December? Yeah it is," Belly said as Conrad looked at her.

"I hate the thought of you thinking back of the night that we spend here and regretting what we did," Conrad said as Belly looked at him.

"It hurts thinking back of that night, but I don't regret it. I don't regret any of the times we were together," Belly said as she saw it was like a relieve to Conrad hearing it.

"You think we'll ever be the same again? Be able to be together?" Conrad asked as Belly looked at him.

"Of course. I never stopped loving you and I never will. I always will love you, Conrad, but let's get your exam done with first. Then we can talk about that," Belly said as Conrad gently kissed Belly.