Birthday Drama

Part 3 to The Summer I Turned Pretty!

Belly woke up and looked around her bedroom. It felt like the same old day being repeated over and over again. She was sitting in her bed, waiting for something out of this world to happen. It was her 16th birthday. Usually on her birthday things would happen that would make the day magical. The day was after all, about her.

It was on her birthday when she was even given a math lesson. Math wasn't Belly's favorite thing at any time of the year especially during summertime. This time it was one that she actually loved to know. Everyone had finished singing to her, and Conrad threw syrup on her Mickey Mouse pancakes, but he threw it in a shape that she hadn't known. She was roughly thirteen at the time.

"What is that?" Belly asked as Conrad smiled.

"Infinity. Do you know what that means?" Conrad asked as Belly shook her head.

"It's really cool. I learned it in math class. So, you know how numbers keep getting bigger and bigger? A hundred, a thousand, a million. To get to the biggest number in the world, you'd have to keep counting because there's always a bigger number. It's boundless," Conrad said as Belly looked at him.

"I don't get it."

"Imagine it's a racetrack. You see how there's no starting or ending point?" Conrad asked as Belly nodded.

"You could travel endlessly around those curves. Goes on forever. That's infinity," Conrad said as Belly smiled at him.

After all the years that have passed since then, Belly remembered that one special thing that Conrad told her and each year she just wanted that. But with turning 16 it changed a lot and with everything that her family was doing this time round, it all seemed a bit overexposed to her. Her mother and friends were treating the day like she was about to turn 21. It was the same old routine as always, just very much more over exaggerated. Belly had exhaled as she got dressed in a floral dress and went out of her room. Everyone was busy getting the room ready as Belly smiled. She was standing by the stairs, wondering when someone would see her when Steven finally did.

"Belly Button is growing old now," Steven said as Susannah smiled at her.

Steven was trying to make up for the other day when he had messed up. I heard him and Conrad talking downstairs and I also knew things would never be the same. But I had tried to ignore it.

"There's the birthday girl looking like a vision in floral. Happy birthday," Susannah said as Belly smiled.

"How does sixteen feel? Hell to be sixteen again," Laurel said hugging her daughter.

Belly had looked over at Conrad who had gotten up from his chair. Belly saw as both Jeremiah and Steven came up to her, hugging her, and congratulating her. Finally, Conrad came towards her and Belly was feeling just a bit nervous about it all.

"I guess you truly are growing up," Conrad said as Belly nodded.

"I guess I am," Belly said smiling as Conrad returned one.

"Happy birthday, Belly," Conrad said as he had hugged Belly.

"Thank you," Belly said as Conrad handed her a cup of coffee.

"Want something stronger than coffee since it's your sixteenth?" Steven asked as Conrad looked at him.

"She's sixteen, not damn twenty-one," Conrad said as Steven scoffed.