21

The wind blows past us carrying the smell of salt with it. The sky shines a beautiful blue. One that sings peace and tranquility. I've never felt this good. Not in a long time.

My hand reaches over to Grey's and he clasps mine tightly in his. The smile on his face grows tenfold when I turn to him. My feet bury themselves deep in the sand and the warmth is relaxing.

We walk. My feet sink into the sand with every step. My short hair allows the wind to move past me freely.

I cut it before we left home for South Africa. Before Grey begged me to come with him. I didn't believe it was possible. I didn't believe I could feel this way or anyone would feel this way about me. But here I am serenading hand in hand with Grey.

We move close to the water and my feet are kissed lightly by the warm blue waves. I smile at the sensation. Free. That's how I feel.

My eyes look over the whole scene. It's beauty and peace and happiness in one canvas. The sun is setting on the horizon. Golden rays of light begin to disappear making way for the inky darkness of night.

The people don't leave though. They stay to enjoy the night as they have the day. It's reassuring to see people so carefree. It gives hope - hope so many people need.

I sit in the sand as grey grabs his camera. Instead of sketching or painting he takes the moment as it is.

My eyes move over to Henry. He came with us. I had to offer him his dream experience. He finally got to be at the beach, without his hoodie. In a pair a trunks and slops.

He's playing with the sand. Building sand castles and collecting shells. He picks one up and rushes over to me, his white skin glimmering in the last rays of sunlight.

"S-sissy. This one is f-for you!", He exclaims handing me a peach sea shell.

It's beautiful. Very beautiful.

"Thank you.", I give him a tight hug. "Now, go and enjoy yourself."

He gives me one last smile and runs off to play. Grey sits next to me and places his hand over mine.

"You're beautiful.", He says placing a chaste kiss on my cheek.

I smile contentedly and lay my head on his shoulder.

It's moments like these I live for.