Chapter 7: Negotiations

The early morning sun filtered through the trees, casting a warm and gentle glow over the tribal village. Stirring from his slumber, Aries was greeted by the distant sounds of the tribesmen engaging in their daily routines. Once, the morning ritual had entailed a refreshing dip in the tranquil lake, but now, the lack of a reliable water supply dampened that prospect. The makeshift water storage, consisting of small, roughly crafted stone vases and bamboo containers, paled in comparison to the larger, more functional vessels Aries had been accustomed to.

"Morning's come. Time to head to the village hall and meet the chief. It's the grandest building around here," the leader's voice carried a sense of guidance, prompting Aries to step out and take the path toward the heart of the village. As he walked, Aries couldn't help but notice the lack of proper hygiene practices among the villagers. The realization hit him – change was urgently required, yet he pondered how he, a newcomer and a mere child, could initiate it.

Navigating the village's narrow trails, Aries soon found himself standing before the imposing village hall. A question formed in his mind, "How is it that no one's searching for a missing child?" Aries brushed aside the thought and entered the hall, where he was met by the sight of a familiar tribesman stationed at the entrance. "Step inside. The chief's been waiting for you," the tribesman's words held a gravity that prompted Aries to tread forward.

Inside the hall, the chief sat behind a broad table, preoccupied with an array of objects that included Aries' tools. Among them was the stone knife he had fashioned – a swell of possessiveness surged within him, though he suppressed the sentiment. Following the chief's command, Aries took his seat, surveying his surroundings. He couldn't ignore the fact that in his previous life, those very tools had held immense value to him. Now, he was just a child in a realm he was only beginning to understand.

The chief's gaze lingered upon Aries' tools, a blend of admiration and amusement dancing in his eyes. "Your collection is impressive, especially that stone knife. Resilient, even against my attempts. Requires skill," the chief's words carried both appreciation and a playful edge. Frustration welled within Aries – the idea of his creations being handled carelessly gnawed at him. As the chief's attention shifted, Aries responded with a respectful yet confident tone, "Tracking down quality materials and crafting these tools requires a certain finesse," his words conveyed his confidence without overshadowing the chief.

Amusement still twinkled in the chief's eyes, his tone growing more authoritative. "You've got confidence, but that won't spare you from a good squeeze, should I fancy it," the chief's veiled threat bore an undertone of authority. For Aries, who had once stared death in the face, such threats held little sway. "Feel free to try. However, my tools – you'll not see them again," Aries' retort was paired with a defiant smile. A resigned sigh from the chief marked his shift from amusement to practicality. "Kid, I hold the chief's mantle for a reason. I've got your intentions figured. So, let's hear what you want and wrap this up," the chief's demeanor shifted to one of pragmatic efficiency, a far cry from the leader's warmth.

Without delay, Aries laid out his case, acknowledging the village's struggles. "Life here is a struggle. I yearn for the freedom of the forest," Aries confessed, his words carrying a blend of nostalgia and determination. The chief's patience waned as Aries broached the consequences of his actions. "Since your arrival, game has grown scarce. Are you suggesting we toss you back into the wild?" The chief's skepticism colored his tone, a reflection of his growing impatience.

"Indeed, but here's my twist. I require three young companions by my side. In return, dispatch villagers to retrieve tools and supplies – food, medicine, water. Additionally, should I stumble upon more stones like the fire stone, consider them part of the deal," Aries' proposal was a calculated one, grounded in his unique talents and astute observations of village life. The chief rose from his seat, his pacing thoughtful as he weighed the implications of Aries' proposition. Aries watched, a small smile playing on his lips as he witnessed the chief's contemplative movements. The chief's concerns about imbalance were valid – the delicate equilibrium of village life could be disrupted by such changes. "Supplies are essential, and our young ones play pivotal roles. Handing over three could tip the balance," the chief's concerns held practical merit, acknowledging the intricate dynamics of the village.

Aries countered with a proposal steeped in practicality and innovation, a reflection of his keen observations. "I've noted the water scarcity and the inefficient sledges. My plan? Craft improved containers, enhance water accessibility. As for the sledges? I'll fashion a superior model within a month – one even a child could manage," Aries' proposal was a fusion of pragmatism and ingenuity, shaped by his acute grasp of village life.

The chief's demeanor grew graver, and with a startling revelation, he exposed a truth that struck Aries like a bolt of lightning. "Fail in a month, and your fate will mirror that of your parents. Just as I ended their lives," the chief's chilling words left Aries stunned, a tempest of confusion and anger surging within him. "He took them from me, and yet I remain within this village?" Aries wrestled with the turmoil of emotions, resolute in not allowing them to overpower him. Answers lay buried beneath the surface, and he was determined to unearth them.