Chapter 28: Beast Wave

"How long until the beast wave arrives?" Aries inquired of the chief. It marked Aries' inaugural battle against a force that not even the chief, known for his strength, could readily repel. Aries had mentally simulated various defensive strategies to thwart and halt the impending beast wave. However, his apprehension was undeniable; the gamble held high stakes, and Aries was uneasy about the potential losses his tribe might suffer.

"We have roughly an hour before the beast wave reaches us. The dense forest trees in the deeper region are retarding their progress," the chief elucidated.

"That should provide us ample time," Aries confidently affirmed.

Guided by the scouts, Aries gained insight into the path the beast wave was poised to traverse. The onslaught was projected to emerge from the northeastern precinct of the village, conveniently aligning with Aries' former base location. Having relocated to the new village, Aries designated the old site as a rest stop for hunters, retaining its defensible attributes. Seizing the opportunity, Aries elected to strategically emplace his traps in this vicinity. To ensure safety, he instructed the tribesmen to vacate the forest temporarily as he set about arranging the traps.

Aries' traps were purposefully straightforward. He secured the Trapper's thread to select, robust trees, crafting a tiered network of five rows. An entire spool of the thread was expended, leaving him with only one. These threads were immensely durable; they could easily cleave through even the hardiest beasts. Sharp enough to rival their stone knives, and combined with the beasts' velocity, these traps promised lethal consequences. The only concern was the durability of the trees themselves. To safeguard their efficacy, Aries strictly cautioned the mages against igniting any fires until the beasts had bypassed his traps. He also strategically positioned paralyzing and poison powder bombs on the ground. Though effective in hunting, their performance against the beast wave remained an uncertainty. Nonetheless, Aries recognized their value as an advantageous augmentation. Due to the destructive potential of magic stones, Aries advised curbing their usage, as they could potentially alter the landscape surrounding the village.

Following the meticulous placement of traps and reassembling the tribesmen in their designated positions, the vibrations in the ground escalated. "It's time! Forest Guardians!" the chief's cry resonated, accompanied by the resounding clang of his colossal stone axes. A chorus of tribal roars reverberated throughout the forest, heralding the commencement of the battle to safeguard their village.

In succession, cries emanated from various beasts, harmonizing with the sound of flesh being sundered. The very trees quivered as if struggling against some monstrous force. Swirling hues of yellow and purple powder drifted through the air, evidence of Aries' well-placed traps effectively hampering the oncoming onslaught. Yet, the ground's shuddering persisted, and with a final seismic upheaval, the once-standing trees toppled and the colorful dust settled, unveiling the relentless march of the beast wave. Among them were creatures of diverse sizes-ranging from the modest like wolves, massive serpents, colossal reptiles, and boars to the gargantuan scaled beings, horned reptiles of prodigious proportions, mammoths of immense stature, and even wingless wyvern-like creatures. The indomitable presence of these enraged creatures surpassed Aries' previous encounters, rendering his past adversaries, like the formidable dark wolf leader, mere ripples in the grand scheme. Yet, for all the ferocity of these monstrosities, Aries was reminded that residing within the forest inherently carried such risks, though not on this titanic scale.

Initially hesitant to deploy the fire stones, Aries recognized that it was their sole lifeline. "Hunters! Mages! Channel your magic stones and unleash a torrent of arrows and flames!" Aries commanded. Though uttered by a youthful leader, the directive was clear, driving the sky to blossom with an eruption of arrows as the beasts below were engulfed in a conflagration.

The smaller creatures succumbed swiftly to the flames or to arrows that punctured their forms. Though momentarily impeded, the larger beings, especially the scaled adversaries, displayed an innate resistance to the inferno's fury. Such resistance rendered them immune to the fire and arrows alike. Similarly, the wingless wyverns proved unfazed by the fire, their resilience outmatching the all-consuming blaze. Although many of the smaller beasts met their swift end, the formidable behemoths pressed forward undeterred, resolute in their advance.

One by one, the larger beasts succumbed to the cunningly devised pitfalls, and many others found themselves trapped within the concealed trenches. The proximity of the beasts to the small base became evident, heightened by their visible struggles to break free from their predicament.

"Mages! Unleash your water stones!" Aries' voice echoed with urgency, and as if responding to his command, a surge of water surged forth into the trenches and pits, drenching the monstrous forms of the trapped creatures. "Now, the thunder stones!" Aries' second command was swift, and the explosive impact of the thunder stones exploited the vulnerable points on the tough scales of the beasts. These shockwaves, coupled with the soaking effect of the water, intensified the damage inflicted by the thunder stones, rending through their formidable exteriors. Despite their imposing appearance, the durable hides of the beasts provided no sanctuary against the electricity coursing through their frames. However, the relentless advance of the beast wave showed no signs of abating, as more of the creatures emerged to join the ceaseless onslaught.

Despite the prodigious expenditure of magic stones and bolts, the ranks of the approaching beasts showed no sign of diminishing.

"You've done your utmost. Now, it's time for the tribe to take up the fight," the chief's voice reassured Aries. Weary and spent, Aries sank to his knees. He had been confident in the preparations he had meticulously arranged, only to be confronted with the brutal reality that his efforts had not sufficed. The very essence of a "beast wave" became self-evident-an unending tide of enraged creatures crashing upon their village. In a gesture of concern, the chief assigned First and Second to accompany Aries. Yet, the predicament was too dire for Aries to remain inactive. Despite his youth, his body bore the marks of rigorous training-days and nights spent crafting tools, relentless practice, forging his physique beyond its apparent limits. With determination etched upon his face, Aries resolved to venture out alongside the tribe, unwilling to watch idly from the sidelines. And as he emerged from the shelter of the small base, the sight that greeted him left him momentarily speechless.