Chapter 8: Forging Bonds

As Aries stepped out of the village hall, a whirlwind of questions churned within him, provoked by the chief's enigmatic remark concerning his parents. The chief's implication that he played a role in Aries' parents' fate left him befuddled and lost in thought. His mind revolved around the mystery, a puzzle he was eager to solve, more driven by curiosity than anger. As he exited the hall, the chief handed him a small, intricately carved wooden token. This token, he was told, would be the key to recruiting three young individuals at the training ground. The chief assured him that the necessary arrangements with the trainers had been made.

In the midst of this revelation, Aries chose to set aside his past momentarily, acknowledging the pressing matters at hand. The training ground lay just a stone's throw from the village gate, a strategic placement intended to inspire aspiring hunters by exposing them to the triumphs of seasoned hunters. Accomplishments were ranked according to the size and number of game hunted, fostering a sense of competition among the trainees.

Upon reaching the training ground, Aries noticed the conspicuous absence of guards, the space being an expansive open area with only a modest structure serving as a resting spot. The sight that greeted him was a multitude of young trainees, their number a surprise in itself—approximately fifty, most of whom were at least fourteen years old. A wave of disappointment washed over him as he observed the widespread malnourishment among them, a direct consequence of the dwindling game resources. While the villagers clung to traditional hunting methods, their prey had evolved, becoming more intelligent and elusive.

"So, you're the prodigious child the chief was referring to?" The trainer's voice carried a hint of annoyance, underpinned by the resentment of losing potential future hunters to Aries' request to recruit three young individuals. "The hunt leader was carrying you like a frail bird about to breathe its last. Frankly, I believed we'd seen the last of you."

Aries remained silent, handing the intricately carved token to the trainer. Aries held no affection for him either, having perceived the frosty reception earlier. His encounter with the chief had also exposed him to such an attitude. After surrendering the token, the trainer guided him toward the cluster of defiant and smirking young trainees.

"The chief seeks three willing volunteers to serve as this child's slaves. Any takers?" The trainer's announcement furthered Aries' internal confusion over the term "slave." He had envisioned recruiting loyal companions, but the chief's interpretation seemed rooted in a different context, possibly due to cultural nuances.

"Slave?" Aries murmured to himself, momentarily forgetting his original intent to establish a circle of loyal allies. Although taken aback, he recognized that the term "slave" was perhaps more apt given his current predicament.

"Seriously? Who'd subject themselves to being at the beck and call of a mere child?" one youngster scoffed dismissively.

"Look at his fragile limbs. I'd wager I could snap them like twigs with my bare hands," another taunted, drawing laughs from his companions at Aries' expense.

Without hesitation, Aries strode forward. "I seek individuals who will pledge their loyalty to me. In return, I promise to elevate your quality of life. Would you be interested in heartier, more nourishing sustenance? Superior garments to protect against the elements? Imagine possessing tools that can slice through meat effortlessly." Aries endeared himself to the young trainees with his enticing words.

Revealing his cherished stone knife, a product of meticulous craftsmanship, Aries identified an ideal target—a sizeable boulder used as a resting spot. He advanced toward it, the knife held delicately in his grip. With a practiced motion, he drove the knife into the boulder, eliciting gasps of astonishment from onlookers as it lodged within, akin to a blade embedded in wood. Though such an action would have been commonplace in his previous life, the feat held remarkable significance in this reality.

"This is merely a glimpse of what awaits you as my loyal companions," Aries declared, rendering the previously insolent trainees, even the trainer, temporarily speechless.

One male trainee hesitated, then raised his hand. "You? Seriously?" The trainer's anxious tone betrayed his concern, cognizant of this particular trainee's potential—the strongest and most intelligent. Nevertheless, the trainer's hands were tied by the chief's mandate.

"What is your name?" Aries inquired of the young man.

"I have not yet earned a name. Names are bestowed upon those who achieve significant feats," the youth responded. Aries was taken aback by the tribe's unique naming protocol, igniting his curiosity about their culture.

"Step forward then. I require two more willing volunteers," Aries proclaimed. The young man positioned himself beside Aries.

Other trainees exchanged meaningful glances. While the first volunteer indeed possessed remarkable qualities, his absence would pave the way for decreased competition, offering others a chance to distinguish themselves. Nevertheless, this vacancy represented an opportunity for a second volunteer.

With her hand lowered, a young girl stepped forward. "Not you!" The trainer intervened hastily, anxious about the potential backlash of the chief's daughter disregarding his directive. "Why obstruct her?" Aries questioned, perplexed by the interference.

"She is the chief's daughter... It is unwise to proceed," the trainer stammered, evoking Aries' surprise. Yet, if she genuinely wished to participate, what warranted her prohibition? "Do not be concerned. I never intended to enslave them, as you mistakenly surmised. My purpose is to garner assistance in enhancing the villagers' lives," Aries reassured the trainer, but the trainer remained wary.

"Allow her to join the kid," the village chief materialized unexpectedly, positioning himself beside Aries. The chief's decision took Aries aback, yet the chief recognized Aries' exceptional training aptitude, even at his tender age.

With the chief's authoritative endorsement, the trainer yielded, permitting the chief's daughter to join the first volunteer. The scene rendered the other trainees momentarily speechless, their focus shifting from the final slot. Nevertheless, a diminutive female trainee eventually raised her hand. "I... I too wish to join!" she proclaimed, her voice determined despite her stature. Dodging past taller trainees, she secured her place at the forefront. "Whew," she breathed a sigh of relief, her accomplishment underscoring her resolve. "Um, welcome to the group, I suppose," Aries concluded, solidifying his selection.

"One month, child. Do not allow our agreement to fade from memory," the village chief reminded Aries before retreating from the training grounds.