Chapter 44: Favor Trading

As the days passed, Aries devoted himself to instructing the blacksmiths in enhancing their skills. This led to a significant increase in the production of black stone weaponry, armor, and shields. Two hundred members of the Forest Guardians army were now fully equipped with these advanced gears. Aries recognized the importance of military readiness, given the potential threats of another beast wave or an invasion. Additionally, Aries developed a more advanced carriage that utilized the pressure generated by fire stones. This innovation allowed for increased speed, with the capacity to store enough pressure to propel the carriage a considerable distance at an accelerated pace. While only one such carriage was produced due to its high fire stone consumption, it showcased the Forest Guardians' continuing advancement.

After a month of preparation, the Forest Guardians were now well-stocked and ready for trading. They had supplies to outfit a hundred tribespeople and an assortment of carriages pulled by wolves. Aries had also amassed a substantial quantity of favor coins, intending to utilize them for trading purposes. The loots from the beast wave, including hard shells, hides, and bones, were also available for sale, as the tribe had found ways to create superior items using the black stone.

The Sky Feather village received a surge of visitors, resulting in the establishment of makeshift camps beyond the village boundaries. The usual limit of ten tribespeople per tribe was disregarded due to the plethora of diverse supplies brought by each tribe. It was evident that this trade gathering was distinct from past events, as it offered an opportunity to acquire superior equipment and items.

With the resounding sound of a horn, the arrival of the Guardians Alliance leader was signaled. All the chiefs, including Aries, assembled for the trade gathering. The shifting hierarchy was apparent, with Aries now holding a prominent position due to his pivotal contributions.

"Hello, Inventor! We've come across two more giant eggs since you seem to fancy the first one. We've prepared additional specimens for you," the Sky Feather chief warmly greeted Aries, ignoring the other chief's presence.

"Would you perhaps be interested in a long-jawed giant beast?" the Swamp Beast chief chimed in, unveiling a bound creature resembling a colossal crocodile.

Other tribe leaders also made attempts to approach Aries but were intercepted by the Forest Guardian chief. He humorously quipped, "The trade hasn't commenced yet, and you're already swarming the Inventor. But how about offering gifts to me first? Haha!" While he hoped to seize the spotlight, most attendees didn't pay him much heed, recognizing his disposition as brawn rather than brains. Nonetheless, they displayed respect to foster positive relations with Aries and, by extension, his chief.

Various tribes presented Aries with gifts, and eventually, the Forest Guardians were guided to a larger building located outside the village. The village itself couldn't accommodate the influx of tribespeople and supplies, necessitating this alternative gathering location.

Within the building, black stone weaponry, armor, shields, and resources were stored, ready for trade. Meanwhile, Aries positioned himself outside at a table, poised to oversee the proceedings.

In a bid to ensure fairness, the chiefs resorted to drawing lots to determine the order of trade with the Forest Guardians. "Yes! I drew the longest straw!" exclaimed the Swift Needle chief, securing the first slot.

Having learned from past missteps, the Swift Needle chief showcased a container of deadly poison made from beast horn and four spools of Trapper's thread. "These are our most prized possessions. How many favors could we secure for them?" he inquired.

"For the deadly poison, I'm prepared to offer ten favors. As for the four spools of trapper's thread, twenty favors would be appropriate," Aries proposed.

"Each black stone spear, armor, and shield will require five favors. The other materials obtained from the defeated beasts during the wave would cost one favor each," Aries added, offering a reference for their trade valuation.

"In that case, I can purchase a maximum of six pieces of equipment! All of your Forest Guardians are already outfitted with black stone gear. Isn't this unfair?" the Swift Needle chief protested.

"Just because the Forest Guardians' tribespeople are fully equipped doesn't make the trade inequitable. You witnessed the effectiveness of these items during the battle against the Central Alliance Army. Can your deadly poison and trapper's thread match the capabilities of two hundred skilled hunters from the Central Alliance?" Aries responded assertively, underscoring the value of the black stone equipment in skilled hands.

Attendees recognized that these black stone gear held greater worth when wielded by seasoned warriors, making them the most powerful equipment available.

"Ugh... very well. What about fire stones, water stones, and thunder stones?" the Swift Needle chief proposed, placing a collection of them on the table, totaling fifteen pieces.

"Fifteen favors in total, which amounts to forty-five," Aries responded.

"What?! Ugh... fine... I'll exchange ten for two armors, two for shields, and five for spears." With this initial trade, attendees grasped the mechanics of the trading process.

The Sky Feather tribe presented feathers, magic stones, food supplies like eggs, meat, fruits, and vegetables, as well as larger eggs that could be tamed in the future. For their offerings, Aries granted them twenty-five favors.

The Swamp Beasts tribe presented a variety of exotic hides from reptiles and fierce swamp-dwelling creatures, alongside additional water stones. They also showcased a unique stone that generated oxygen, enabling extended underwater stays. While Aries found no purpose for the ferocious beasts, the oxygen-generating stone held immense value. A trade was negotiated, and the air stone, in particular, yielded fifty favors, a significant return for its utility.

Ember Boulder, flush with an abundance of fire stones, decided to offer their expertise in stonemasonry, given their specialization in constructing stone houses. Although they lacked tangible goods, their service held promise. Aries was pleased with this offer, as sturdy housing was crucial for the tribe's growth. In exchange for the service of ten Ember Boulder tribespeople for a month, Aries granted a hundred favors, with potential for more if their efforts proved satisfactory.

The Mountain Dwellers, who had experienced displacement due to the central alliance army, found themselves in a disadvantaged position. Having recently settled in a mountainous region, they were impoverished, possessing only magic stones to offer. Aries extended an offer: in exchange for allowing the Forest Guardians miners to extract resources from their mountains, the Mountain Dwellers would receive favors. This transaction was motivated by Aries' intent to introduce them to the benefits of black stone weaponry, thus fostering a desire for more. A downpayment of thirty favors was provided, with the promise of additional favors if valuable black stones were unearthed.

As the trades concluded, each tribe was equipped with black stone gear. The materials from the beast wave didn't garner much attention, reflecting the tribes' recognition of the superiority of these advanced items. While Aries might have made a loss in these transactions, his investment in the stone masons and the opportunity to mine the mountains ensured future gains.