Chapter 43: New Allies

They reached the location where the prisoners were being held, and Aries realized that the two guards had cunningly blended in with the other captives. Driven by fear of the central alliance, these prisoners had chosen silence, effectively making the disguised enemies into spies for the opposing force. Aries, however, was not easily fooled. By subtly sensing their energies through his symbol aura, he could differentiate those with different auras. Out of the group, Aries singled out two individuals.

"You and you, come here," he ordered, his discerning gaze fixed on them.

"Please, have mercy on us! We're just from a weak tribe," both of them implored, feigning vulnerability as if they were genuinely Scarlet Grove tribe members.

"May I borrow your spear?" Aries requested from the Forest Guardians' hunt leader. After receiving the spear, Aries swiftly drove it into the foot of the person on the right, causing him to cry out in pain. The act persisted as Aries repeated the action on the other foot.

"What madness is this, master? Spare us, please!" they continued their act.

"Enough with your charade," Aries retorted, impaling the second person's foot as well. Blood began to flow from their injuries.

"How can you be so sure?" questioned the Sky Feather chief.

"It's simply a matter of understanding. Which tribe is known for their expertise in torture?" Aries inquired.

"That would be the Swamp Beast tribe. They're said to keep prisoners with missing limbs, rendering escape impossible," confirmed the Swift Needle hunt leader.

"In that case, Swamp Beast hunt leader, these two are yours to interrogate. As for the Scarlet Grove tribesmen, the Forest Guardians will provide them with accommodations. Any objections?" Aries inquired.

Following a few moments of silence, no objections were raised. Thus, Aries made his departure, instructing his tribesmen to release the prisoners and guide them back to the Sky Feather village. With the assurance that another attack wouldn't likely occur in the immediate future, Aries signaled his giant eagle to recall the reinforcements sent to the Sky Feather village.

It didn't take long for information to be extracted from the prisoners. They disclosed that the attack had been driven by the central alliance's desire to raid weaker tribes for slaves, rather than being a direct order. Due to their mistreatment and harsh conditions, the slaves often perished. The central alliance sought resources to expedite city construction and feed their swelling population. Despite their numerical advantage, feeding such a large population had become a challenge, leading to internal strife and suffering. Aries foresaw this outcome due to his visions and personal experiences—unlike their leadership, he was driven to uplift his tribe and improve their lives, rather than amassing power.

With the prisoners' revelations, several days passed. Another meeting was convened in the village hall, attended by all the chiefs of the alliance except for the Forest Guardians'. The alliance's proposition was once again presented to the Forest Guardians, as Aries needed a definitive answer. A blood pact was established among the six tribes, solidifying their commitment to honor the alliance's terms. Aries also informed them of his plan to visit the Sky Feather tribe in a month's time for trading using favors—the official trade of the newly established "Guardians" Alliance, a name that Aries had chosen.

As they journeyed back to the Forest Guardians' Alliance, Aries sought to learn more about the Scarlet Grove. The rescued tribesmen were accommodated in carriages, while the men walked, many still in fragile condition. Aries, situated at the front of a carriage, engaged in conversation.

"Scarlet Grove must have been beautiful," he began.

"Master, have you been to our tribe?" inquired a female tribesman.

"Call me the inventor. I haven't physically visited your tribe, but I have a clear image in my mind. I imagine it as a picturesque village, adorned with trees bearing scarlet leaves that drift gracefully to the ground. But I assume maintaining such a place must have been quite challenging," Aries reminisced about their fallen tribe.

"I am the hunt leader of the Scarlet Grove... and yes, it was indeed our paradise. Sadly, I doubt we'll ever be able to return," she responded.

"We will find a way to visit your tribe's paradise one day. For now, I'll help you regain the will to live," Aries assured. Recognizing the pain and loss in their eyes, Aries aimed to restore their hope and drive to carry on, despite their heart-wrenching circumstances.

Upon their return to the Forest Guardian village, they encountered no further complications. The Scarlet Grove tribespeople settled into vacant guest buildings, making adjustments to their new surroundings. In order for them to establish a permanent life here, certain changes needed to be implemented.

Summoned to the village hall, the Scarlet Grove hunt leader arrived, finding Aries and the chief awaiting her. Aries warmly greeted her upon her entry.

"How have your tribespeople been faring?" Aries inquired.

"They are experiencing a better life than ever before. The abundance of resources and improved conditions here have greatly uplifted their well-being. However, I suspect there's a particular reason for summoning me. Are you suggesting that we become your slaves now?" The hunt leader posed her question, her expression serious.

"You've misunderstood. Allow me to clarify. The Scarlet Grove tribe, left to its own devices, faces the prospect of extinction. Starting anew with only a handful of survivors amidst the dangers of this world would be an arduous struggle. That's why I propose that your tribe joins ours, not as slaves, but as equal tribespeople of the Forest Guardians," Aries explained. The addition of more members would undoubtedly ease their challenges.

"Are you suggesting we abandon the name and legacy of our fallen tribe and simply adopt yours? It's as though we're erasing our tribe's identity!" The hunt leader retorted with a strong emotional undercurrent.

"I believe there's been a misunderstanding. While joining us would make you part of the Forest Guardians, you can still preserve the essence of the Scarlet Grove tribe. Continue your cultural practices as long as they don't conflict with ours. However, should you reject our rules and intend to leave after familiarizing yourselves with our village, we would have no choice but to regard you as potential adversaries. You're surely aware of the ramifications that would follow," Aries responded with an authoritative and serious tone, making it clear they weren't initially part of their tribe.

The hunt leader grasped that this wasn't a situation that would favor them. With just around thirty survivors from the Scarlet Grove, rebuilding their tribe was an immense challenge. She could only provide her people with an improved life and residing within the Forest Guardian tribe seemed to be the most pragmatic course of action.

Observing Aries' unwavering resolve, she understood that a response was expected imminently. "I accept your proposal, but I implore you to ensure the safety of my people," she stated with a hint of hope.

"Though you may not have heard it yet, we successfully repelled a beast wave and, with a group of twenty tribespeople, thwarted an attack by the central alliance army. If safety is your concern, then our tribe is the answer. Welcome to the Forest Guardians tribe," Aries declared warmly, extending his hand for a handshake. It dawned on him that such a gesture might be unfamiliar in their culture.

With the agreement in place, the Scarlet Grove tribe was officially integrated into the Forest Guardians. Responsibilities and tasks were delegated to the new members, contributing to the village's progress. While the pace of advancement was somewhat slower due to the influx of new arrivals, the assistance of Aries' enhanced black stone collection abilities facilitated the acquisition of resources.