Chapter 26: Alliance Representatives

Several more weeks passed, and their old village was eventually dismantled, salvaging whatever materials could still be of use. Now fully established in their new settlement, they had fortifications in place. With the help of the villagers, the walls had grown in size and strength. The tribe's strength was now compartmentalized into distinct roles. Guardians donned hard leather armor, wielding long spears and sturdy tower shields. Their task was to safeguard the village against both predators and internal discord. Hunters, clad in lighter leather armor, carried crossbows and knives. Among them were mages, sporting bags filled with various magic stones and belt pouches containing an assortment of powder bombs, all slung alongside a trusty slingshot. While the concept of mages remained a mystery to most, Aries' word was law, and that was enough. Healers constituted another vital group, their purpose focused solely on the provision of curative medicines. They carried an array of potions and accompanied hunting parties to ensure that both sustenance and water were always at hand. Aries also imparted non-combatant skills to certain members, like blacksmithing to craft stone tools, alchemy for the mass production of healing concoctions, and farming to ensure a steady supply of fruits and vegetables. Every potential disaster had been considered, with mages equipped with water stones to counter fires and various other roles expertly filled to meet the needs of the tribe.

Inside the fortified settlement, tamed smaller beasts now performed a variety of tasks, from pulling carriages to domesticated animals yielding milk and eggs. The villagers were more open to the concept of taming beasts, thanks to Aries' influence.

The walls were fortified further, now featuring platforms for hunters and mages to enhance their strategic advantage. Aries knew the looming threat of a beast tide had not yet manifested, but their readiness was undeniable.

Concurrently, representatives from the other tribes arrived to claim the promised carriages and medicines. These chosen individuals were deemed the most capable for rendering assistance when needed. The initial visitors were the representatives from the Sky Feather tribe.

As they approached the Forest Guardians' settlement, they marveled at the transformation. What was once a village had now evolved into a fortified haven, a true fortress. Upon reaching the entrance, they beheld a wide trench encircling the village. The gate, cleverly attached to the wall, descended like a bridge to allow them entry. As the representatives ventured inside, they were met with an astonishing sight. While the village might have a smaller footprint compared to their own, its interior boasted tall structures, a variety of functional buildings, and a vibrant atmosphere as every member toiled away at their respective tasks.

"Welcome!" Aries greeted the arriving representatives. Each tribe's delegation consisted of ten tribesmen. These representatives had already encountered Aries during his visits to their villages. Despite his youthful appearance, their chiefs had instructed them to show the utmost respect to him, a sentiment that was quickly conveyed to them by the chiefs themselves. The Sky Feather tribe's representatives brought with them a sizable egg as a gift. "We heard of your interest in a mountable giant beast. One of our hunters found this egg. Given its size, we thought it might align with your desires, but we cannot be certain. If it doesn't meet your expectations, feel free to use it as you see fit," one of the representatives spoke, his tone slightly tense. It was a significant offering from the Sky Feather tribe. "Thank you!" Aries responded with a childlike excitement. As someone who had grown up in the forest, he had yet to encounter a flying creature that could be tamed. Thus, receiving an egg of this nature filled him with genuine enthusiasm. Observing Aries' reaction, the representatives visibly relaxed, understanding that beneath his brilliance lay a genuine child.

Guiding them to the newly established village hall, Aries showcased the larger and more spacious structure. The village cooks provided the representatives with a spread of delectable food and refreshing beverages, leaving the visitors pleasantly surprised by the quality.

Additional representatives from the Swift Needle and Ember Boulder tribes arrived. Just as he had with the first group, Aries extended a warm welcome. However, the newcomers appeared less at ease. The Swift Needle tribe representatives couldn't help but cast curious glances at the crossbows and slingshots present in the village. These new weapons seemed considerably more destructive than their own silent needleblowers, indicating a significant power disparity in a direct confrontation. The Ember Boulder representatives noted the mages handling fire stones and the variety of magical stones, particularly the fire-related ones. This puzzled them, as fire stones were their tribe's specialty, and the sight of the many reserves prompted them to question the origin of these newfound resources.

"Why are you all so tense? Remember, we've come together to ensure each other's safety," Aries reminded them of their collective purpose. The representatives from the Swift Needle and Ember Boulder tribes were initially taken aback by their own tension. They recognized the significance of the knowledge they were gaining but refrained from inquiring further, knowing their designated roles. Like the earlier groups, they were ushered to the village hall by Aries.

The final arrivals were the representatives from the Swamp Beasts and Mountain Dwellers tribes. However, the atmosphere was less than harmonious, marked by visible bruises on some members' faces. It was clear that some form of altercation had taken place between the two groups. Aries approached them, his expression stern and disapproving. "I thought I made it clear to the chiefs. What's the reason behind this conflict between your groups?" Aries's frustration was evident. He had dedicated considerable effort to crafting the promised carriages, and the representatives were tasked with the responsibility of aiding one another, not engaging in internal disputes.

One of the Swamp Beasts representatives stepped forward, a confrontational tone in his voice as he addressed Aries. "It's not your concern, kid! Stop-" His sentence was abruptly cut short.

In an instant, the individual was flung against the wall. No one had seen Aries move, but it became apparent that a stretchable sling, with a stone attached to the end, was used as a close-range weapon. The tension escalated further.

"Feed him to the wolves," Aries commanded his tribesmen. Panic ensued among the Swamp Beasts representatives. Their minds raced, questioning how the situation had escalated to this point. One representative, a young girl of similar age to Second, prostrated herself in desperation, her pleas aimed at Aries. "Please! Don't do this! He's my brother! Just this once, please!" The representatives from the Swamp Beasts realized they were in foreign territory, immobilized as the crossbows and slingshots of the Forest Guardians were aimed at them from the elevated platforms along the walls.