Chapter 25: The Elder's Passing

Aries completed his tasks in the Sky Feather tribe and bid farewell to the village.

He was well aware that his serene days would soon be overtaken by a surge of responsibilities, as requests from other tribes would pile up. Their chief shared the same concern, fully aware that such burdens were typically not borne by a child. "Kid, make sure you work harder. You asked for it," the chief reminded Aries as they journeyed back to their village.

"I understand. Don't worry, the village remains my top priority," Aries replied with determination. The chief recognized that Aries was genuinely dedicated to the welfare of their community. Given their tribe's plan to relocate to the forest, the support of neighboring tribes was crucial in case another beast wave occurred. The alliance they had forged would prove to be invaluable in times of crisis.

Several weeks passed after the conclusion of the trade gatherings. Some of the tribespeople had already settled near Aries' base. First had undergone a noticeable transformation, his physique more defined and his height increased. His recent focus had been on assisting the tribespeople in constructing better homes. Aries devised designs for two-story houses, optimizing space usage while also providing improved living conditions. Additionally, Aries designed a spacious bathhouse, thoughtfully separated by gender. Water stones were employed to secure their water supply, ensuring its sustainability. Comfortable and hygienic restrooms were also constructed based on Aries' designs. To ensure that everyone received their share of food, a large canteen was established, now managed by Third and a group of non-combatant youths. As a result, the new village had access to free food and water. The training grounds were relocated to the new settlement, where Second took on the role of mentoring the young trainees. Under Second's guidance, the youths honed their skills by practicing village surveillance and hunting small game. Additionally, Aries fulfilled his commitment to construct carriages for the other tribes.

"Master, I've heard that the elder is not feeling well. They've requested your presence at the old village," Aries was informed of the elder's condition. Though Aries had only briefly encountered the elder upon his arrival at the village, he felt compelled to assist in any way he could.

"Alright. Join me, and make sure Second accompanies us," Aries instructed.

With his healing concoctions in hand, Aries and his companions embarked on their journey promptly. Driven by a sense of urgency, Aries urged his wolf to accelerate their pace. Before long, they reached the old village. Aries, who had spent the past few weeks laboring at his base, immediately sensed a somber atmosphere enveloping the old village. With only a few families residing there, the place appeared nearly deserted. Aries headed directly for the village hall, leaving First and Second behind. There, he encountered a guard who directed him upstairs.

Ascending the stairs with haste, Aries entered a room to find the chief at the elder's bedside. The elder's appearance had aged significantly since their last encounter, his vitality seemingly diminished. "Ah, the lost kid returns home," the elder greeted weakly, his voice carrying warmth despite his frailty. Although his body showed signs of decline, his eyes conveyed emotions that transcended words. It was evident that the elder was burdened by a heavy weight of pain.

"Please, elder, save your strength. I'm sure Aries has brought something to help ease your discomfort," the chief implored, his usually unyielding demeanor softened by concern. Aries felt a pang in his heart, recalling the memories of his own parents from his past life. Letting go of loved ones was a painful journey, no matter the circumstances.

"Come on, Aries, surely you have something that could alleviate his suffering," the chief urged Aries, his voice a mixture of desperation and sadness. However, Aries was keenly aware that no remedy existed that could reverse the inevitability of aging. While he possessed the ability to heal wounds and minor ailments, extending a person's lifespan was beyond his capabilities.

"What the hell are you waiting for?! Offer him something!" The chief's patience waned, overwhelmed by the sight of the elder, his father, enduring such agony. Driven by a mixture of fear and love, the chief pulled Aries towards the elder, inadvertently causing him some discomfort. Aries endured the pain without complaint, understanding the chief's desperation all too well.

"You're hurting the kid, Fool..." The elder's feeble voice interjected, his affectionate reproach aimed at the chief.

A potion exchanged hands as Aries offered it to the chief. "Will this alleviate his pain?" the chief inquired, his eyes searching for reassurance in Aries' nod.

"Take this, Father. Please find rest," the chief whispered to the elder, gently guiding the potion to his lips. A slight twitch of discomfort crossed the elder's face as the bitterness of the potion touched his senses.

"Goodnight, my foolish son..." the elder murmured, his voice growing weaker as he finally found solace in the embrace of sleep, and then silence.

The chief understood that there was no other recourse. He could not bear to witness his father's agony any longer. "Thank you," he whispered to Aries, a mixture of gratitude and sorrow evident in his eyes. With the elder's passing, Aries left the village hall, accompanied by First and Second, to return to their own abode.