Chapter 27: Impending Threat

"Healer, mend his broken ribs," Aries commanded one of the healers, addressing the injured Swamp Beasts representative. "Understand this: disrespect me again, and you'll find yourself excluded from the alliance. Is that perfectly clear?!" Aries's stern voice reverberated through the air. Following his outburst, the sound of howling wolves echoed across the village, their eerie howls serving as a stark reminder that any misstep could lead to dire consequences.

Aries extended his assistance to the sobbing girl on her knees, offering comfort and assurance. The two groups of representatives conceded their agreement, visibly chastened by the recent events. Although Aries noticed the exceptional beauty of the weeping girl, he concealed his observation, choosing not to reveal his thoughts. With the matter resolved, the representatives were subsequently led to the village hall.

The representatives from the various tribes had embarked from different distances, with the Swamp Beasts and Mountain Dwellers groups having to travel the longest. Their extended journey might have contributed to their fatigue and irritable disposition. However, Aries held the firm belief that these factors did not warrant a disrespectful attitude.

During their day of rest within the village, Aries attended to the representatives' needs, offering nourishment and refreshments, as well as showcasing the advancements in their tribe's quality of life. Aries realized that each tribe's representatives also had their own respective leaders. Aries had interacted with some of them during the trade gatherings, and he observed their roles and personalities closely.

The leader of the Sky Feather tribe, the one who had gifted him the giant egg, carried an air of authority and responsibility. He had shown generosity and a willingness to cooperate during their interactions, which now seemed indicative of his leadership style.

The familiar face from the Swift Needle tribe's representatives was indeed their leader, the same person who had showcased their tribe's needleblowers during the trade gathering. His role as a leader hinted at his tribe's emphasis on stealth and precision, reflecting the nature of their weaponry.

Aries encountered the Ember Boulder tribe's leader for the first time. The leader's attire, resembling that of a mage from the Forest Guardians tribe, caught Aries' attention. His bag full of fire stones and the sling indicated his connection to magic stones. This made Aries wonder about the different magic stone practices among the tribes.

The Swamp Beasts tribe's leader, however, was currently under the care of the healers due to his disrespectful behavior towards Aries. This incident showcased the importance of mutual respect and diplomacy in maintaining their newfound alliance.

Lastly, the representative from the Mountain Dweller tribe had a distinct aura. Unlike the others, he bore no visible signs of recent conflict, indicating his skill and experience in combat. His presence hinted at his tribe's emphasis on strength and readiness for any threat.

After a day of rest, Aries guided the representatives outside, leading them to the same entrance through which they had initially arrived. There, they were met with five larger carriages than those exchanged during the trade gathering. Each carriage was accompanied by a pair of wolves, slightly smaller than Wolfie but still capable of pulling the carriages. Aries emphasized the importance of caring for the wolves, as their performance would directly impact the functionality of the carriages. Inside the carriages were numerous vials of potions, added with water stones and extra provisions.

Before their departure, Aries gifted the young girl from the Swamp Beasts a slingshot, along with a pouch filled with fire and thunder stones. Despite the age difference, the reason behind Aries's gesture remained a mystery to the representatives.

Aries's current task had come to an end, culminating in a month of dedicated work and contributions to the village's betterment. As he reflected on his efforts, the chief appeared on the scene, fresh from a successful hunting trip with the hunt leader. Word of Aries's intervention during the incident with the Swamp Beasts representatives had evidently reached their ears.

Curious about the hunt's outcome, Aries inquired, "How did the hunt go?" Observing the chief effortlessly carrying a massive beast that dwarfed him in size, it was apparent that their hunt had been prosperous.

"The presence of our hunters and mages has made the hunt somewhat dull," the chief admitted, a wry smile forming. "But if it results in more meat to sustain our tribe, I can certainly endure the monotony."

Teasingly, Aries proposed, "I'm willing to bet that I could out-hunt you."

The chief chuckled, countering, "Sure, but only if you agree not to use any of your tools."

A mischievous grin spread across Aries's face as he retorted, "That sounds like it would be even more boring. No excitement, no fun."

In this moment, a sense of camaraderie and lightheartedness prevailed, signaling the tribe's collective appreciation for the progress they had achieved and the unity they had formed through their alliances and shared efforts.

Aries had been diligently working on improving tools and equipment while assisting with the carriage construction. While he attempted to replicate bow and arrow designs, he faced challenges that hindered their functionality. Nonetheless, he channeled his ingenuity into crafting other tools to aid the village. These innovations included digging tools for farming, a melee rubber sling inspired by the incident with the representatives, and an improvised trap that could be set up on the fly. His alchemical expertise also deepened, yielding more potent healing potions capable of mending even broken bones.

However, Aries recognized his limitations; his knowledge was limited to basic survival concepts, and the advanced science he knew was inapplicable in this world's context. Despite his curiosity, the scarcity of minerals and resources impeded his efforts.

As the weeks rolled on, their village continued to flourish. Quality of life and security increased, leading to a higher birth rate among the tribespeople. Physically and mentally strengthened, the villagers found solace in their fortified haven.

Then, an unexpected event jolted the tranquility. The ground trembled, birds scattered, and the resounding blast of a horn echoed through the air. Three horns sounded, signaling the imminent approach of a beast wave. The chief summoned Aries, and in that moment, Aries understood that the long-anticipated threat had finally arrived. Silently acknowledging the chief's call, he left the village hall, fully aware of the impending challenge that awaited them.