Chapter 37: Inventor's Return

Three days had passed, and the culmination of the ceremony was imminent. However, one participant remained conspicuously absent from the village, casting a shadow of concern over the proceedings. "Where in the world is that youngster? Didn't I tell you to keep an eye on him? If something untoward befalls that child, I'll skin both of you alive! You hear me?!" The chief's frustration was palpable. What had initially begun as a prank aimed at the child had quickly escalated into genuine worry upon his disappearance. The village's newfound prosperity, built in part by the inventive mind of the missing child, now hung in the balance. Their reliance on his craftsmanship had rendered the work of their resident blacksmiths child's play in comparison.

Despite the challenges, the remaining youngsters proudly showcased their accomplishments. Their trophies ranged from wolves and boars to unique four-legged reptiles. Among them, First and Second stood out, each having taken down formidable creatures. First's conquest was a Chaser, a display of his exceptional agility, while Second's achievement was a Crusher, a creature that might have been sluggish but possessed the power to flatten a wolf with a single devastating blow.

As night descended, the chief made an announcement, acknowledging the need to conclude the ceremony even in the absence of the missing child. Just as he began to speak, a resonant howl reverberated through the air, breaking the stillness of the night. "At last!" the chief exclaimed with palpable relief, recognizing the distinct howl of the village's dark wolf leader, which invariably heralded Aries' return.

"Chief, the inventor has returned, but..." a tribesman reported, a note of apprehension in his voice.

"But what?!" the chief interjected, his anxiety flaring anew.

"Chief, you should witness this firsthand," the tribesman replied, prompting a mixture of curiosity and concern to ripple through the gathered villagers.

Urgently, the chief hastened to the village gate, where a weary and blood-soaked Aries stood, burdened by an ominous presence on his back and clutching something gleaming in his hand. His visage was one of exhaustion, his body evidently pushed to its limits. The chief's concern swiftly translated into action as he reached out to support Aries, only to see him collapse almost instantly. The young inventor had returned, but his physical state was far from reassuring; he was feverish, emaciated, and severely dehydrated, the consequences of two consecutive days battling predators en route to the village.

Upon closer inspection, the chief's eyes fell upon the object Aries had carried with him—the severed head of a fearsome beast. Recognition flashed across the chief's face as he realized the connection. "I remember this!" The memory of the creature that had claimed his wife's life was indelible. His gaze then shifted to the heart clutched in Aries' hand. The symbol of the fallen beast's life force seemed to glisten with an otherworldly light. Complex emotions swirled within the chief as he contemplated the significance of these items. "Could this be...?" he mused aloud, his thoughts a labyrinth of past grievances and newfound respect.

Reluctantly releasing Aries from his grasp, the chief's determination was clear as he lifted the feverish boy into his arms and announced that the ceremony would be postponed to the following day. In that moment, the chief's foremost concern lay not in the rituals of the ceremony, but in unraveling the events that had led Aries to this state.

Two days elapsed before Aries regained consciousness. "Are we throwing a party or something?" Aries weakly joked, his voice feeble. Second and Third, expressing both relief and worry, rushed to his side and enveloped him in embraces. Amidst their relief, they had feared the worst during the ceremony. "I'm glad you're back, Master," First's composed voice intoned, his calm demeanor a reassuring presence.

"I thought you were gone forever, Master!" Third exclaimed emotionally, her words bypassing any semblance of restraint. Meanwhile, Second, known for her reserved and stoic demeanor, revealed a softer side as she stood nearby, tears streaming down her cheeks, testament to the depth of her concern for Aries' safety.

"Give us a moment alone, please," the chief instructed, his voice carrying an air of concern that demanded respect and obedience. The villagers dispersed, leaving the chief and Aries alone for a private conversation. The chief's demeanor had shifted, his stern authority replaced with a tone of sincerity that reflected his genuine worry and gratitude.

"So, young one... You've brought me a most unexpected gift," the chief began, a tone of respect woven into his words. This time, his voice was devoid of the usual authoritative edge, replaced by an underlying sense of humility.

Aries, slightly puzzled by the chief's words, inquired, "What do you mean?"

The chief's response carried a depth of emotion as he delved into the history of the beast Aries had slain. "The creature you've felled is none other than the one responsible for my wife's death. She was a hunt leader and gave her life to protect others from the Dark Forest King. I had intended to hunt down this menace myself, with preparations underway. Yet, fate had other plans, and I bear witness to your accomplishment. How did you manage to bring down the Dark Forest King?"

Aries, his chest swelling with pride, explained, "Yes, I'm aware this might disqualify me from the competition, but survival led me to use the trapper's thread. I left a trail of its blood on my way back to the village, allowing our skilled hunters to track the remains."

The chief's expression was a mixture of pride and gratitude. "Your triumph has exceeded all expectations, and it holds profound significance not just for the village, but for my family as well. You've brought justice where it was due. As such, whatever favor you seek, I am compelled to grant it."

Aries, speaking with earnestness, responded, "To be honest, I only acted to ensure my own survival. I have no desire for rewards or assistance from your tribe. Please understand, it's not personal; I simply wish for a peaceful and uneventful life."

The chief accepted Aries' sentiments gracefully. "Certainly, your desire for peace shall be honored. But, as we've postponed the ceremony on your account, I suggest you gather your strength—our delay can't last forever."

Aries, slightly exasperated by the news, groaned, "Seriously? Ugh..." As much as he was relieved to have the opportunity to rest, the thought of resuming the ceremony was far from enticing.