Chapter 19: Chief's Worry

Aries couldn't help but tease the chief with a playful question, all while acknowledging the truth in his words. "So, do you think that the hunt leader made the right decision when he brought me back?" Aries' lighthearted tone highlighted the impact he had brought to the village.

The chief's response was a mix of appreciation and caution. "I still hate your confidence, but you sure are helpful. Our village has gained newfound vitality since your arrival. However, I've always been wary of offering things freely. It's not uncommon for dependency to breed negative consequences within a community. Sometimes, such dependency can become a poison." His words reflected a keen awareness of the potential pitfalls of relying too heavily on external assistance.

Aries offered his perspective, explaining his motivations for his actions. "I understand your concerns, but for me, it's a small investment. I extended my help to show them that there's a larger world beyond their borders. If they're interested in pursuing a better life, perhaps they'll consider my guidance in the future."

Sensing the chief's genuine interest in his proposal, Aries now had an opportunity to lay out his vision. "Assuming that I'm also a villager seeking the better life you're offering, what do you propose?" the chief inquired, his gaze focused on Aries as he awaited a thoughtful response.

"I believe that the tribesmen who collected supplies from me witnessed the life we lead in the forest. I am also confident that some of them volunteered to return there. Life in the drylands is not just difficult, but also perilous. The forest provides greater opportunities and resources. With my assistance, we can establish a thriving community in the forest," Aries conveyed with optimism.

"You haven't encountered a beast wave firsthand, have you?" The chief's tone grew even more serious. "Just because you've tamed a dark wolf leader doesn't mean you should underestimate the threat of a beast wave. Even with a hundred seasoned warriors from our tribe, we couldn't halt the onslaught. We are forced to abandon our homes, the villages we've built, every time a beast wave approaches." The chief's voice trembled, revealing the trauma of witnessing his people's deaths. The specter of those past beast waves still haunted him.

"Chief, would you mind accompanying me outside the forest for a few minutes? I'd like to personally demonstrate some of my inventions," Aries requested, his words managing to quell the chief's shaky hands. The chief wondered at the incredible fearlessness the young boy displayed. How could someone so young exude such confidence?

The chief followed the kid toward the gate. Aries gestured for the chief to climb aboard the carriage. The chief, who was a tall and burly man, hesitated for a moment, eyeing the carriage's entrance skeptically. The carriage was built with Aries' small stature in mind, and the entrance seemed rather compact for someone of the chief's size.

With a determined expression, the chief took a deep breath and attempted to step into the carriage. However, his broad shoulders and imposing stature proved to be a bit of a challenge in the confined space. He awkwardly twisted and maneuvered, but his efforts only resulted in him getting stuck at the entrance. The sight was quite comical, and even Aries had to suppress a chuckle.

Seeing the chief's predicament, Aries quickly moved to help. "Here, let me give you a hand," he offered, reaching out to assist the chief in navigating his way inside.

After some concerted effort and a fair bit of shuffling, they managed to squeeze the chief into the carriage. He let out a hearty laugh, a mixture of amusement and embarrassment evident on his face. "Well, that was quite the challenge. You certainly weren't kidding about the size of this thing."

Aries grinned, clearly entertained by the chief's struggle. "Yeah, I designed it with my size in mind, didn't really account for larger folks like you. But hey, now you know firsthand the experience of traveling in my invention."

Aries drove them a bit far from the village. "So why did you bring me here?" The chief asked. The mood was back to being serious.

Aries pulled out the crossbow. After the wolf saw it, it whimpered a bit, but Aries calmed the wolf down. Wolfie had an unpleasant memory of this weapon. "This is what I call the crossbow," Aries explained while loading it. Aries aimed at a tree a couple of feet away from them. "That's quite a distance." The chief added. Even with a sling, hitting a target at this range would be challenging.

Aries fired the crossbow, and with a sound of stretched rubber being released, the bolt pierced right through the tree. The chief quickly rushed toward the tree and saw a hole in it. The bolt shot was found a bit farther. "That's a powerful weapon," the chief remarked in amazement. "This is only a glimpse of what I can create," Aries said, explaining the use of thunder and fire stones as ammunition for a sling. He also told the chief about his variety of powder bombs that could cause different types of ailments based on the herbs used.

The chief stayed silent, wrestling with his doubts. "We tried different strategies against the beast wave. Even tried to use different kinds of weapons and other things that might be useful, but we never won. Our people are strong and resilient, and yet we always bury our own people. What do you think you have that we don't?" The chief's skepticism was evident, his heart wanting to believe but his past experiences holding him back.

"Before? Well, you didn't have me," Aries responded with unwavering confidence."I hate that damn confidence..." The chief sighed, conflicted by his doubts and yet finding himself swayed by Aries' unwavering determination to help the village.