Attention (Part 1)

I sat across from Mr.Second-in-command who was glaring at me with everything he had. He crossed his arms as I looked at him.

"Come on. It was funny,"I defended.
"No. It wasn't,"He argued.
"Tsk, tsk, tsk. You have no sense of humor,"I sighed, clicking my tongue.

"You nearly set the kitchen on fire!"

"You let me almost set the kitchen on fire. You gave me the matches,"I reminded him.
"I didn't realize you were going to commit arson!"He exclaimed.
"Arson technically isn't against the rules,"I pointed out.

His eye twitched in frustration. Only I manage to make that happen.

"Most people have common sense,"He exasperated.
"I'm not most people Newtie."
"Don't call me that."
"Sorry Newton."

"You are so bloody insufferable,"He groaned, hitting his head against the wall.
"Good idea. Maybe if you give yourself a concussion they'll let you out."

"You're the worst,"He sighed.
"Hey. That was pretty bloody hurtful mate,"I mocked, smiling wide as I did so.

"See? This is exactly what I'm talking about. You never take anything seriously. Alby tried coming up with new punishments, but nothing sticks. You just do the same thing. You are such a trouble maker."

"I know. I was there when you guys were coming up with new one's,"I shrugged. "Besides, you're here with me,"I added.
"I am only here because you always break out when someone isn't watching you. For once in your life why can't you do as you're told?"

He knew I was about to say something most people would regret by the glint in my eye. To be fair he set me up for it.

"Because I'm not a bottom."

"You're not funny,"He grumbled.

"Ouch. You're being quite mean today Nettie."

"That's not even a nickname!"

"Would you prefer bottom?"

"I hate you."

"I love you to bottom."

We heard angry stomping and looked up to see Alby. I sent him a wave.

"What's up old pal?"
"You two shanks knock it off. People are trying to sleep,"He said in an angry hushed voice.
"Sorry. I'll just insult him quieter,"I shrugged.
"Just keep quiet,"He scowled, storming off.

"So bottom, what do you want to talk about?"

"This is going to be a long night,"He sighed, ignoring my question.

He was right on that one, but he needs to look on the bright side. He got an awesome new nickname that was reserved for him.

If only he wasn't such an idiot that he didn't see I got sent here on purpose. It sounds horrible, but I overheard that he would be the one that would stay with me. That's why I pretended I was going to set the kitchen on fire.

If I'm being honest it hurts that he thinks I would ever go far enough to destroy something in the Glade, in our home. He really thinks I'm that careless and unappreciative of all the great things the Glader's have managed to do.

There were a lot of things everyone wanted, but there was only one thing I wished for. I wanted to see me as something more than a good for nothing trouble maker. I wish he saw me as someone who was trying everything they could to make him laugh when his smile didn't reach his eyes.

I wish he saw me the way I saw him. Unfairly easy to be in love with.