Attention (Part 2)

(Even though the third part has tons of fluff this one's pretty angsty. If you want to keep the fluff I suggest just skipping this part)

Ever since that night in the slammer I realized that trying to make him laugh wasn't happening. So for the first time that I can remember I gave up on something. Trying to get him to see me as something more was hopeless.

That's why I just stopped doing anything like that all together. If I'm being honest a huge part of why I did any of those things was to brighten up his day. Apparently, that was never happening.

Instead, I focused on just doing what I was supposed to do. I helped in the gardens until the day was over. That was that. I was done with my antic's and telling my stupid jokes.

I sighed as I dug my shovel into the ground. From a few feet away I heard Newt laugh at something Zart said. I looked at the ground and ignored the single tear that dropped to the dirt.

Newt's P.O.V

I know I should be more than grateful that Y/N hasn't been pulling any stunts lately. I had been pleading for her to follow the rules for so long. Now she was doing just that. No scaring people, teasing the Glader's, or even joking around with them.

That's what I wanted though, right? Then, why does it feel so wrong to see her acting that way?

I gave a fake laugh to something Zart said before my eyes subconsciously darted to Y/N. She was digging her shovel into the ground like it insulted her family.

From the distance I saw a small tear drop down her cheek. She didn't bother to wipe it as she kept at her work.

Ever since she's been here she's never shed a single tear. Even when she came up in the box she casually introduced herself as 'the nameless' like everything was normal with a wide grin on her face. We assumed it would kick in at night, but no. She just danced around the fire. Somehow, she got Alby to join. Eventually, it was everyone. Even Gally had a good time.

I couldn't help but smile at the memory. That was probably my favorite Greenie celebration. Seeing her face light up as she spun Minho around. Almost everyone had a turn with that including me.

Now that I'm really thinking about it has she really been as bad as we've thought? There was only one time someone got hurt by something she did. Gally accidentally punched her when she scared him. You could tell he felt bad when he saw her nose bleeding.

So you can't imagine the surprise when she just patted him in the shoulder and said he has an awesome left hook. Her setting the kitchen on fire doesn't seem like something she would ever actually do. Maybe she'd fake it just to freak a few people out, but she's careful with everything here. She's never broken anything.

I was so busy thinking about everything I didn't realize she had walked over until she tapped my shoulder

"Alby said he wants to see you,"She mumbled, already walking away.

"Thanks Y/N,"I called. She didn't say anything as she got back to planting the vegetables.

I went to see what Alby wanted as I debated whether or not I should check on her. I still couldn't figure it out when I got to him.

"Hey Alby,"I greeted.
"Newt, I need you to keep an eye on Y/N. She's acting strange. Well, strange for her."

I nodded in agreement. I guess I got my indirect answer. If Alby sees it too then I need to ask what's been going on with her lately.