Attention (Part 3)

I woke up absolutely exhausted. It didn't matter that I went to bed early. I never want to leave it when I wake up. Not when it hurts so much to be here and pretend I'm okay.

I couldn't stay here though. I took a deep breath before sitting up. I reluctantly headed to get some breakfast. Even if I wasn't hungry I had to eat. I'd rather not die from slowly starving to death.

I walked across the Glade and accepted a plate from Frypan. I went to my usual spot in the corner on my own, but somebody was already there. Newt was there with a wide smile.

I didn't know whether I was supposed to walk away or sit. Maybe he just didn't know I usually sat here.

"Are you going to sit?"He asked, still grinning. I didn't say anything or even look at him as I did.

I took a bite of my food when I felt his eyes on me. I glanced over to see him intensely looking at me.

"Are you okay?"I asked quietly.
"That's what I wanted to talk to you about. Just about you,"He said hesitantly.
"I don't remember doing anything wrong lately if that's what you're wondering,"I shrugged.

"Y/N, how are you feeling?"

I froze at his words before regaining my senses. I could lie or I could tell the truth. I was a great liar though. The pranks gave me practice.

"I feel great,"I lied, not looking at him. He didn't look away from me.

"If I tell you something will you promise not to be mad?"He asked slowly. I just nodded my head, already drained from the conversation.

"I found the treehouse."

"What?"I asked, hoping I misheard him. How do I get myself out of this if I didn't?

"I found the treehouse and saw the writing on the roof."

"It's not mine,"I responded quickly. I really didn't know what to do now. I wasn't planning on anyone seeing it.

"I saw you climb out of it, and you had your name signed on the floor."

"Well, I'm still fine. The writing is old,"I kept trying to convince him. He just sadly shook his head.

"No. The positive ones are old. Not crying and being to much were all fresh. Not being irritating and a trouble maker seem brand new."

"It's not a big deal. I have some bad days. Am I not allowed to have those? Do you expect me to be fine all the time? Do you want me to keep walking around with a smile on my face and cracking jokes? Because I can do that. I've been doing that for so long, but I'm worn out from faking it. I can't be good enough. If I'm trying to make people happy and break rules I'm a no good, insufferable, annoying, trouble maker. If I don't then I'm not being myself. No matter how much I try to give or change it's never enough. What do you want from me because you can have it. So tell me which side is better for the Glade. Which side is more useful so I can be that, and we can get on with our lives."

He looked up at me in shock at my rambling. I didn't know how to fix this so I won't try.

"What do you want from me Newt?"I repeated.

"I want you to be happy. I just want you to be you,"He whispered.
"Yeah? Well, being me isn't enough."
"It is enough,"He argued.
"No. It's not. You've said so yourself. Don't lie because you pity me."
"But-"
"I'm going to get to work. Just take my breakfast. I wasn't hungry anyway,"I muttered.

Before he could protest I walked away. I just want this day to go by quickly so I can hide in my hut. Apparently, my special place can't be that anymore.

♡ Time Skip♡

The great thing about eating far away is that nobody sees you when you go on a rant. The bad thing is that the person you ranted at you still stares at you all day. I didn't have it in me to acknowledge it.

When lunch came I darted to my hut. It's not like anybody could say anything.

I laid on my bed and shut my eyes. Just as I buried myself under my covers there was a knock on my door. I ignored it, but they only knocked louder. I dragged my feet over to the door. I opened it to reveal Newt standing there with two bowls.

"What do you want?"I sighed.
"You need to eat something, but first I need you to see something. Alby wanted me to show it to you."

I looked at him skeptically, but it wasn't like I could ignore Alby. I headed out with him.

He lead me into the Deadheads which was strange.

It only got stranger when he lead me to my treehouse. I realized Alby definitely wasn't here, but he was looking at me with such pleading eyes. That's why I just gave in and followed him up.

He set the food down before nervously smiling at me. I was wondering why until he pointed to the ceiling. That when I saw it.

Every old phrase had been re-written so it could be seen clearer. A lot of the negative phrases were replaced with a bright picture.

Then, there were the altered negatives phrases.

Remember I'll always Be good enough
Smile more Whenever it's real

I didn't know how to react as I looked at everything. For the first time in so long I smiled. This wasn't something I thought I could ever feel again, but Newt managed to do it. It was more than amazing to feel pure joy again.

"Is it okay?"He questioned nervously.
"It's amazing. Thank you Newt. This means the world,"I promised.
"There's one more you missed,"He admitted, pointing at the right corner. I turned to see one of the first ones.

Admit to Newt that I'm in love with him

Except, he had added his own message beneath it.

Give him an answer when he says it first

My heart stopped in chest. I looked at him for any sign of a bluff. He was completely serious.

I took a marker and started my final writing here.

Tell Newt I could never fall out of love of with him