The Other Side

It was the worst thing to happen to anyone.

I had caught the Flare along with Newt. Not only was I losing myself, I was watching my love do the same. I was just watching as his bright star of a soul slowly faded out while knowing the same thing was happening to me.

So was everyone. No matter the lengths we went to to hide it, even from each other, it had all come back in the end.

There was still. It was just diminishing with each second we didn't have the cure.

Despite Thomas trying his best two people, almost half dead, and going insane, was a lot to handle. So I don't fault him when he dropped us on the ground. If anything, I believe that was the correct choice, the only reasonable one.

I just hope if it comes down to it he'll choose Newt. Because I would always choose Newt.

That, and I don't know think that I keep fighting this for much longer. I'm not even sure if I want to. While that could just be the Flare talking, it still meant I was becoming a Crank. It was still a milestone to death.

"I don't think I can do this anymore,"I panted, laying still in front of the WCKD building.

"You'll both be fine. They're getting the cure. You'll be fine,"Thomas tried to assure this.

"Don't make promises you can't keep,"Newt murmured, his body almost completely limp next to mine. I felt like my heart had stopped beating, like something was hitting my head over and over, as I felt myself freeze. I couldn't move.

This was for the best because once those lights came on everything inside me seemed to cloud over. I had one thought on my mind. Somebody needs to suffer.

I turned my head to see a stranger glaring at me, with black eyes, and black drool. He looked just as ready to kill so I had to get to him first.

I lunged at him and knocked him to the ground. He scratched at me, his nails drawing blood. This stranger was a threat.

"No! No!"Someone screamed, trying to pull me off. I threw that person to the ground. They hit it with a thud before lying motionless on the ground.

I went over to see who it was when I realized something. Thomas. I had just killed Thomas. At least, I thought so until I saw his chest moved. I didn't kill him. But I caused him pain. I had hurt my friend. I was capable of that now. I could hurt him next, my love.

"Tommy?"Newt asked, kneeling next to me. I looked over a him. He didn't have much time left either.

"I'm sorry Thomas,"I whispered, closing my eyes. I pulled a gun from my pocket and looked at Newt. He nodded as his eyes filled with tears.

We couldn't live like this though. This wasn't even living, and we knew our friends wouldn't make it to save us.

He pulled his own gun out and held against his head. We just stared at each other.

"I love you, Newt,"I said for what could be the last time.

"I love you too. I'll see you in the other side,"He whispered.

"Yeah. If we get there I'll find you,"I promised. He nodded before closing his eyes. I did the same before pulling the trigger.

If only we had waited just one more minute. Then, Brenda would have given us the cure.