Prologue

"Leave me alone!" He said, trying to get around me and through the door. I grabbed him by the arms and forced him to look at me.

"You want to tell me what the hell is going on with you?" I asked, furious.

He looked back, and I could see his eyes were hiding something dark, yet he smiled at me joylessly.

"This is your world, Cole," he replied calmly. "I'm living your life, hanging out with your friends, and feeling like I don't have a care in the world. That's how you are, and that's how I'm supposed to be, too," he said and stepped back, pulling away from me.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"You're out of control," I hissed at him. I didn't like who the guy I was in love with was turning into. But when I thought about it, what he was doing and how he was doing it were the same things I had done before I met him. I was the one who got him into all this. It was something I unwanted. It was unwanted that he was destroying himself.

In a way, we'd switched roles. He had shown up and dragged me out of the black hole I'd fallen into, but in doing so, he'd wound up taking my place.

 He had shown up and dragged me out of the black hole I'd fallen into, but in doing so, he'd wound up taking my place