Chapter 14

Cole's POV

Four days later, and I still hadn't shown up at home. After what happened at the races, I didn't want to even stick my head in. I wasn't sure how I'd react when I came face-to-face with Justin again. A small part of me wanted to strangle him and make him pay for what his stupid little game had cost me. My car, my black Ferrari, which had cost more than two hundred thousand dollars, and the definitive end of my truce with Aggie's gang. That fucker had tried to shoot us in the back. I still remembered the feeling in my chest as I heard the shot and Justin screaming in the back seat. I hadn't wanted to look back. I had been scared at what I'd find; I'd never known that kind of fear before. And all that because some dumb boy had been incapable even once of paying attention to what he was told.

When I had seen him race, I had felt completely powerless. I had no idea where he learned to drive like that, but he had sure beaten Aggie's ass. I had to admire the way he'd taken that second curve — not even I would have had the balls to hit it at that speed — but all that told me was how little survival instinct he had.

And then I couldn't get out of my head that kiss I'd given him or how much I wanted to do it again. I couldn't forget those full, savory lips, that body... They drove me wild.

Dammit.

I couldn't go home; I didn't know how I'd act.
One part of me, the horny one, the one that clearly didn't need my head to think, wanted to grab that boy with his brown hair and honey colored eyes and do it all to him, make him pay for losing my most treasured possession; the other wanted to make him afraid to even be near me, to even breathe too loudly when I was in the room. The first option was the more attractive, and admitting it made me hate myself.

I'd been partying for four days straight, staying up till the early morning and always waking up with a different girl. Aggie and I were done forever after what had happened, and I was worried about how he'd act the next time we saw each other, which would happen sooner rather than later, since we moved in the same circles.

Amazing. That boy had screwed up everything in no time, and to make it worse, I still had to see him every damn morning once I returned home.

I went home once I'd fixed the back windshield of my car. I was in a bad mood, and it was about to get worse. I parked in my spot, put on my sunglasses — my hangover was killing me and walked to the door, thinking I'd just disappear into my room for the rest of the day, but no dice. As soon as I walked in, I heard a shout coming from the kitchen that made me curse under my breath and pray for the patience I'd need to put up with that moment.

I walked slowly to the kitchen, where my stepmother, her son, and Jenna were having breakfast at the island. Justin my personal brown hell. He seemed thrown off when he saw me walk in. His skin was still the same, his hair more light brown than the last time I'd seen him. He was wearing a swimsuit, but a towel wrapped under his stomach. Stomach? Shouldn't it be at the waist? He was dripping water onto the counter over his bowl of cereal. Jenna was doing basically the same, but with no towel and with that welcoming smile she reserved for friends and family.

So they were friends now?

"Cole, you're finally back. You dad was calling you all day yesterday," Kensley said gently, but her face seemed to tell me she'd been up all night. Unlike Justin, who seemed happy to just throw on whatever, he took good care of his appearance.

He was taking his new role as Mr. Richard Williams seriously.

"I've been busy," I said, cutting her off as I walked to the fridge and took out a beer.

"What's the deal, Cole? You aren't going to say hi?" Jenna said, turning around in her chair to face me.

I gave her a nasty look. Jenna knew perfectly well that I wasn't in the mood. Why didn't she act like Justin and just shut up and eat her cereal?

I grunted, brought the beer to my lips, and noticed how Justin was trying to act completely unaffected by my presence.

"Cole, your father was calling because we're going to New York tonight," Kensley said, getting my attention. "He's got a conference, and he wants me to go. I'd like it if you could stay here with Justin. I don't want him all alone in such a big house, and —"

"Mom, I told you I'm fine," my stepbrother said with a scowl. "I can stay here by myself. Anyway, Jenna will stay here and keep me company, right, Jenna?"

Jenna nodded, shrugging, looking first at me and then at Justin. So he was trying to ignore me and he wanted me to leave. Interesting.

"I'lI stay," I said, not really knowing what I was getting myself into.

By the face he made in response, I could tell Justin would have rather been anywhere but there just then.

"Thank you, Cole. That really makes me feel better," Kensley said, getting up and taking one last sip of coffee. "I'm going to go pack my bags. I'll see you all before I go." And with that, she left.

"You don't need to worry about me. I know how to take care of myself," Justin said.

I walked over and sat down next to him.

"I very much doubt that, but that's not why I'm staying," I said, staring him straight in the eye. "I think it's that I missed you, Justin Bieber. You going to make me lose another two hundred thousand dollars today?"

Justin took a few deep breaths and started babbling a response, and I decided to bring his torture to an end.

"Relax. I wasn't being serious anyway. You couldn't pay me back in your wildest dreams." As I spoke, I realized my anger and my desire for him were growing. I looked down involuntarily at his abs, wet from the pool, and at his tattoo, which drove me completely wild.

"Are you telling me you're going to forget it?" he asked incredulously.

"Let's say I'll find another way for you to pay me back." Right away, I realized I was flirting with him again. Dammit.

"Look, how about we go back to the beginning? I'll ignore you, you can ignore me, and everyone will be happy."

I glanced over at Jenna, who had an expression of intrigue, with a little smile flowering across her fleshy lips.

I turned around and walked out to the yard.