Chapter 21

Justin's POV

I got up later than normal that morning. I didn't know if it was all the contradictory thoughts I'd gone to bed with or the knowledge that I had a hard day ahead of me, but when I saw the clouds in the sky, I knew I'd made a mistake asking a favor from Cole and that nothing good would come of my best friend staying at my home. I put on a swim trucks and a shirt, telling myself I'd just have to hang on till seven, when I could go to my new job and avoid whatever problems Dylan had in store for me.

I'd thought it over a long time before falling asleep, and the only feelings I had for the guy who'd been everything to me were rage and resentment. I was angry. I didn't want to see him. I felt stupid for ever thinking he was my best friend. Maybe that was just because he wasn't in front of me to stir up old memories. But I hoped it stayed that way that morning. I didn't even want to see his face.

When I went to the kitchen and saw Dylan sitting at the table with a cup of coffee staring at his phone, I couldn't keep myself from scowling at him. I walked straight past him to the fridge and got out the orange juice.

"I was waiting for you to come down," he said, standing up and leaning on the counter. I ignored him as I sliced the bread and put it in the toaster. "Your parents are gone."

"My mother's gone," I corrected him. "Richard is not my parent."

Dylan sighed, and finally I looked over at him.
His hair was well combed, and he'd put on jeans and a T-shirt with a stupid phrase on it.

"You don't want to talk to me?" he asked. "I didn't come here from another state just for a vacation. I came here to get you to forgive me."

"I can't forgive you, Dylan. You kissed my girlfriend, and not just once. I've got photos, I don't know who sent them, but I'd assume it's one of your little girlfriends. I guess they don't like you going out with someone else after you cheated on them."

Before Dylan could respond, Cole came in with no shirt on, wearing pajama pants that hung low on his hips. His hair was scruffy, his feet bare... and he made my heart start pounding. Dylan looked over at the young man who had immediately entranced me.

Cole stopped in the doorway and analyzed the situation. I bit my lip. What would he do now?

"Hi, we haven't been introduced," Cole said, stretching out his hand. Dylan reacted a second late. I could see the veins in my stepbrother's arm tense as he squeezed Dylan's hand. Dylan visibly tried as hard as possible to pretend it didn't hurt while I stood there fidgeting. "I'm Cole."

"Dylan," my ex best friend said.

The next thing that happened must have shaken him to the core: Cole walked over and bent down to kiss me lovingly on the lips.

"Morning, Handsome," he said, eyes glimmering in a way I couldn't quite decipher. Then he poured himself a coffee and walked out into the yard.

Wow, Cole. Thanks for putting me on the spot.

"Wait what? Slow down, you're gay?" Dylan asked, seething.

I shrugged, trying to ignore him.

"It means that I've found someone who really cares about me," I said, sitting down and taking a sip of my juice.

"You didn't even need two weeks to find that meathead to replace Maddie? She is going to be disgusted finding out you're gay."

"And you both didn't even need twenty-four hours. And fuck with what Maddie has to say."

Dylan walked over and grabbed the back of my chair.

"I know what you're doing. I get it. You're trying to give Maddie a taste of her own medicine. But that doesn't change anything, Justin. You still care about her."