Chapter 22

Cole's POV

My intention hadn't been to hook up with him in the bar parking lot. Quite the opposite: the conversation in my car with that dumbass Dylan on the way to the airport had affected me more deeply than I cared to admit. It kept replaying in my mind.

"You have no idea what you're getting into,"he said after an intense silence in which I couldn't stop thinking about pulverizing him. "Justin's more fucked-up than anyone put together."

I watched my breathing, tried to stay calm and not enter into his game, but I wanted to know what he was getting at. I wasn't trying to be in a relationship with Justin, but there was no denying my attraction to him.

I gripped the wheel without responding.

"I'm telling you from experience. That boy's got a lot more hidden secrets than you'd think at first glance, and —"

"That's why you decided to come out here, right?" I said, turning onto a side street.

"No, he's my best friend and I wanted to fix things between us. There's always another layer you're trying to peel back."

I tried to guess at what he meant by that: a boy who keeps so much to hisself... I hadn't met many of those.

"I'm not trying to ruin things for you. I can tell how much you like him, but I don't think you're the type of guy who's willing to wait for him to get over his shit."

"I can be patient," I said, staring at the line of cars in front of me, "but I can be impatient, too. Like right now, I'm impatient to pop you in the nose."

Dylan smiled, and it took everything I had not to turn around and give it to him then and there. That dickhead was talking about his ex-best friend with no kind of respect whatsoever.

I get it, I was no knight in shining armor, but at least I didn't try to pretend. I was straight-up about who I was. This dude was a liar and a cheat.

"I'm just warning you, when you let him in, it's hard to let him go. Just like you said, I'm here, right? If you don't watch out, you'll find yourself eating out of his hand, and you won't know how or why you got there."

I stopped at the gate at the airport.

"Disappear already," I ordered him with a clenched jaw.

Dylan grabbed his bag and got out, but not without a few last words:

"I really do want to fix all my wrong doings with him."

And then he turned around and walked off.

———————————

I'd spent the rest of the day on the beach. I couldn't stop thinking about what Dylan had said, and despite his warning, all I wanted was to see Justin and be sure he was okay. I had no idea how to deal with my feelings for him.

I grabbed my surfboard and paddled out into the ocean. I didn't know what else to do. Having him in my home was torture. I lusted after him like crazy, and whenever I saw him, my imagination went wild. If my father knew what was happening, he'd kill me.

Even so, I went to find him at the bar he'd been stubborn enough to get a job at. I couldn't understand why the hell he'd do that, especially as a waiter. Bar 48 was a place a lot of people went. My friends and I went there pretty often. The drinks were cheap, and all kinds of people went there. I wasn't at all pleased to have Justin working there, and it was even worse when I saw him come out with Xana.

She and I shared a past — one I didn't want Justin to know about. The things I'd done when I'd left home, the way I'd acted after my mother had run off... Xana had been there through every stage of it and knew about all I'd had to get through to end up where I was now. I didn't want those secrets coming to light — certainly not with someone I shared my house with.

Justin looked tired. He was clearly stressed out by my presence. He was brusque with me, and his answers made me want to dig at him more. That push and pull between us amused me. I was having fun seeing him grow irate.

I should have stayed away, but I couldn't. My legs kept pushing me towards him until there was practically no space between us. Either I kissed him or I went crazy-there was no other alternative. I wasn't even conscious of what we were talking about. Something about doing favors or making him my servant... I don't know.

Just the thought of having him at my mercy turned me on unbearably. I needed it, even if I knew it was wrong. I needed him the way I needed oxygen to breathe.

I buried my hands in his short hair and pulled him close. I was on the verge of desperation. Justin's hands wrapped around my neck, and our bodies collided. I tasted the sweet flavor of his mouth, savored him with my tongue, and I thought I would die. There was nothing like kissing those lips. I wanted to feel him shiver in my arms, make him feel things nobody, and certainly not his asshole of a ex-girlfriend, had ever made him feel before. That was my number one priority: his pleasure. I came closer, pushed him into the car door, pressed my knee between his legs.

The sigh that came from deep inside him made me quiver all over until my phone rang and we couldn't continue what we'd started there in the middle of the parking lot.

I took one more look at him and I knew I was lost.

If you don't watch out, you'll find yourself eating out of his hand, and you won't know how or why you got there.

I tried to turn away from her pink swollen lips and concentrate on whatever I was hearing. I needed to go, needed to put distance between us. I couldn't let Justin take over my thoughts, my life.

"I have to go. I have something to do," I said, hoping he wouldn't notice my consternation.
"I'lI see you at home."

Justin pursed his lips and got into his car.

I had an unpleasant feeling as I watched him go.

Was it already too late?