Chapter 1

Justin's POV

While I rolled the window of my mother's car up and down, I couldn't stop thinking what the next hellish year had in store for me. I couldn't stop asking myself how we'd ended up like this, leaving our home to cross the state on our way to Palm Beach. Three months had passed since I'd gotten the terrible news that would change my life forever, the same news that would make me want to punch everything in sight, that would make me rant and rave like I was eleven instead of eighteen.

But what could I do? I wasn't an adult, not fully. I had 2 months before I go far away from a mother who only thought about herself, far from these strangers I'd end up living with, because from now on I would have to share my life with two people I knew nothing about — two men to make matters worse. I thought I was the only man in my mothers' life. But I guess not anymore.

"Can you stop doing that? You're getting on my nerves," my mother said as she put the keys in the ignition and started the car.

"I'm sorry, you doing this is getting on my nerves too but I barely say anything," I hissed back. The loud sigh I heard in reply was so routine, it didn't even surprise me.

How could she make me do this? Didn't she know that after what happened with my Dad, not to let another man in her life? Of course I do, she'd told me as we were leaving my hometown.

Seven years had passed since my parents split and nothing about their divorce had been conventional. It had been incredibly traumatic, but in the end, I'd gotten over it... Or, at least, I was trying to.

It was hard for me to adapt to change. I'm not timid, but I'm reserved about my private life, and having to share twenty-four hours of every day with two people I barely knew made me so anxious, I wanted to get out of the car and throw up.

"I still don't understand why you won't let me stay," I said, trying to convince her one last time. "I'm not a little kid. I know how to take care of myself. Plus, I'll be in college the end of summer, and I'll be living on my own in another state then. It's basically the same thing," I argued, trying to get her to see the light and knowing that everything I was saying was true.

"I'm not going to miss out on your last year of summer before going to college. I want to enjoy my son before he goes away to study. I told you a thousand times, Justin - - you're my child, I want you to be part of this new family. For God's sake! You really think I'm going to let you go that far away from me without a single adult?" she answered, keeping her eyes on the road and gesturing with her right hand.

My mother didn't understand how hard this was. She was starting a new life with a new husband she supposedly loved. But what about me? Does she still love me with this new man in her life?

"You don't get it, Mom. Did you ever stop to think that this is my last year of summer? That all my friends are here, my girlfriend, my job, my team? My whole life!" I shouted, trying to hold back my anger. The situation was getting the best of me.

I still regret not going with my mother on that damn cruise to the Caribbean. Because it was there, on a boat in the middle of the South Pacific, that she'd met the incredible, enigmatic Richard Williams.

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't hesitate a second to tell my mom yes when she showed up in the middle of march with two tickets so we could go on vacation together. They'd been a present from her best friend, Asia. The poor thing had just gotten divorced from her husband before the trip, so she gave them to my mother. But come on now mid-March? I was in the middle of exams, and the football team had back-to-back games. My team had just went to state first, and that hadn't happened as long as I could remember. It was one of the greatest moments in my life. Now, though, seeing the consequences of staying home, I'd happily give back my trophy, leave the team, and fail English Lit and French just to keep that wedding from ever happening.