Chapter 5

Justin's POV

The last thing I wanted in this moment was to owe something to that bastard, but I was even less inclined to stay behind with my mother and her husband and watch her drool over him while he waved around his bucks and showed off how much pull he had.

Cole turned his back to me and walked out. I said a goodbye to my Mom and hurried after him. When I reached the door, I stopped and waited for the valet to pull his car around.

Big surprise — he pulled out his phone to ignore me. I tried to see what he was doing because I couldn't. He had on a privacy screen.

I was addicted to my phone, but not that addicted that I ignored someone out of spite. Haven't his mom taught him any manners?

As if he was reading my mind, Cole smiled mirthfully.

"Stop trying to look at my phone little brother." He said, sounding like he won something.

I could feel he was close to me, but I didn't move, even when he stepped closer to me.

"Be careful. I might just leave you here stranded so you can walk home," he warned me just as his car was pulling up.

I ignored him as much as I could during the drive. His SUV was so high off the ground he could see everything if I wasn't careful getting in. All the frustration, anger, and sorrow had grown worse as the night went on, and the five or more arguments I'd had with this idiot had turned it into the absolute worst night of my life.

I put on my seat belt while Cole stuck the key in the ignition, pressed his hand against my headrest, hit reverse, and then turned onto the road leading out. I wasn't surprised that he didn't follow the roundabout — a roundabout that was placed there precisely in order to keep people from driving the way Cole would.

I couldn't help but groan when we got back on the main road. Outside the club, my stepbrother sped up, hitting seventy, deliberately ignoring the traffic signs that said the speed limit was forty-five. I speed too, but I go ten miles above the speed limit and that's my maximum.

"What's your problem with me, Justin?" Cole asked in a weary tone, as if he couldn't put up with me a minute more. That makes two of us, mister.

"Well, I don't want to die on the road with some dumbass who doesn't know how to read a road sign. That's one problem," I shouted. I was way over my limit. Anything else and I'd start screaming like a nonexistent male banshee. I knew I was short-fused. One of the things I hated most about myself was my lack of self-control when I got angry, the way I could so easily raise my voice and turn to insults.

"What the fuck's up with you? You haven't stopped complaining ever since I had the misfortune of meeting you, and honestly, I don't give a shit what your problems are. This is my home, my city, and my car, so shut your fucking mouth until we get back," he said, shouting just as I had.

An intense heat filled my body, when I heard those words. Nobody told me what to do, least of all him.

"Who the hell are you to tell me to shut up?! Is that your coping mechanism for whenever something doesn't go your way? Spoiled rich ass brat. Haven't your mom taught you better? Who am I kidding, she probably isn't even in the picture," I know I was beside myself, but I had to say it.

Cole jerked the wheel and braked so hard, if I hadn't have on my seat belt, I'd have shot right through the windshield.

When I got over the shock, I looked back and was scared to see two cars turning quickly right to avoid hitting us. Horns honked, and drivers shouted insults, and for a moment, I was stunned. Then I reacted.