Chapter 27

This chapter is dedicated to this girl @ice_qreenm because she really broke it down for me "I like your story - so update", but seriously, I thank all of you for your awesome comments, even the pushy ones! I wish I could add more people, but I can't. All of you are amazing for not giving up on me! So please enjoy this chapter, I think you guys will like it!

Chapter 27

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things - wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

- Eda J. Le Shan

November 1, 1856

*Rhea*

It was quite a morning in Hyde Park, Rhea thought. Dawn was slowly creeping at the edges of the heavens. Rhea breathed in the fresh air; she felt a little better once she had fresh air. For the past fortnight Rhea would awake constantly in the night to use the chamber pot, emptying the meals she'd had beforehand. Fortunately, Hadrian wasn't aware as he'd gone off to Windsor, more than a week ago, to conduct business with Lord Dalting and other men.

When she'd continued getting sick, especially in the mornings, she contacted Doctor Humphrey. She could still remember the conversation.

"I tell you, sir, I've been sick constantly for the past two months! I demand to know the cause." Rhea said. She'd been furious and weak with distraught over the possibility of having contracted some fatal sickness. Usually, she would never dare treat another so rashly, but she couldn't seem to take control of her moods. She demanded answers and the doctor wasn't giving them fast enough.

"Your Grace, I apologize for your late illness-" Rhea interrupted.

"Doctor, I've just explained that I've been ill for the past two months. Surely this is unusual, is it not?" Rhea waved away his answer. "I would like to know now what the diagnosis is and have the cure ready by the morrow."

The doctor shook his head. Rhea pursed her lips.

"You can have it sooner, then? Good, I shall not want my husband to arrive while I'm emptying my meals in a chamber pot. You may return this evening with the cure-"

"Your Grace, I do apologize for the interruption, but if you would let me speak a moment, then you shall get your answers and the cure."

Rhea, having gained some sense by then, promptly shut her mouth and nodded for the doctor to continue.

"I understand that you've been sick for quite a while and there are many causes as to why, but with your symptoms, Your Grace, I believe there is only one cause." Doctor Humphrey paused and Rhea nodded for him to continue.

"My lady, I do believe you're carrying the next heir to the Dukedom of Vale." The doctor announced.

Rhea, who had previously been standing, collapsed on one of the settees and froze.