Chapter 2 (Pic of Hadrian)

Chapter 2

"There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment."

- Sarah Dessen , The Truth About Forever

The Vale Mansion

"Are you sure you're alright, dear?" Lucinda asked anxiously. Ever since the announcement given last night, Rhea had been quiet as a mouse. Not making a sound.

Lucinda despaired to see her daughter in such a depressing way that, for a moment, she blamed her husband and his blasted ways. She took her daughter's hand in hers and made Rhea look at her.

"No matter what, Rhea, you are and will always be our daughter." Lucinda said gently.

"I know, mama. There is no need for your worrisome looks," Rhea gave an assured laugh. "I will do my duty to the best of my ability. If this will save our family's honor and life."

"Oh, Rhea, you are the best daughter that we could ever hope for. God will bless you." Abraham said, his voice gruff with emotion. He couldn't be more proud than he was with his daughter.

"My Lord," they all looked to Hemmingway's secretary. "I believe we have arrived."

_____________________________

"How beautiful." Lucinda smiled. She looked at her surroundings. Even if they do become poor, at least Rhea would have a wealthy comfort.

Apparently, the Duke had invested in some stock holds and had made double his income over the winter. Abraham grinned. This was definitely efficient for his daughter.

"Isn't it wondrous, m'dear?" Lucinda asked, turning to her daughter.

"Absolutely." Rhea murmured.

Rhea took in every beautiful thing about the mansion. It was beautiful. The decoration coating the mansion was just magnificent. Rhea could imagine herself, after the marriage, tending to the gardens that she saw in the back, with those beautiful lily's and . . .

Rhea stopped short. She was already thinking about the changes she'd do when she was married to the Duke! Well, she thought, I must make adjustments to my life accordingly. No matter how much I may object to this, the outcome shall be the same.

"I see you've taken a liking to my garden?" a smooth voice said behind her. Rhea stilled for half a second before relaxing.

Dear god. She was terrified of meeting her future husband. What if he absolutely despised her; for being made handcuffed to a woman-child he barely knew?

*Hadrian*

Hadrian had been at his desk, tending to his bank managements when his butler, Clarke, a no-nonsense fellow that had served the late duke well and continued to do so in Hadrian's employ, came and informed him that the Hemmingway's had arrived promptly.

He was still very angry at his recently deceased father for arranging this madness. Dammit, he didn't even have enough time to get acquainted with her, nonetheless, know her.

This arrangement would never work out.

Smoothly placing his penment away, he allowed Clarke to lead him outside. When he arrived, though, he was surprised to only see the elder Hemmingway's, with no sign of their daughter.

He thought he had arranged for all of them to come.

When he addressed the issue with Abraham, Abraham mentioned that his daughter had wandered off, exploring the gardens featured on his grand estate. Hadrian himself was quite fond with the gardens, as it had been his mother's favorite pastime when she was not busy tending to her motherly and wife duties.

He had Clarke take them to the parlor for refreshments, and then went to seek out their daughter. Pitiful child, he thought.

The girl couldn't even stay still for a moment. But soon enough he found himself eagerly awaiting the pleasure of seeing the girl for the first time.

He had nearly gotten restless looking for her when he finally spotted her near the garden's edge, gazing tenderly at the lily's . . .

For a moment, Hadrian was struck. She was indeed quite the beauty Lord Hemmingway boasted. 'Twas obvious she still had some growth left, but her beauty was nonetheless stunning. He wondered if she had ever gotten proposals or offerings, or even calls.

He was shocked.

He had stressed his suit towards his father, saying that he would never marry a woman whom he did not know, but inside, Hadrian knew that he would never marry if it did not have love.

Foolish thinking though, Hadrian knew. Hadrian was a Duke. Girls across the world had come to seek him out for his wealth and hand, but he had denied all.

They were much too vain, cattishly polite, haughty, and blatant. He had no desire to have a woman as such under his head, directing his household, abusing his money, lusting after his wealth. . .

It was ridiculous. No, it was preposterous!

He walked towards her, without thought, as if enchanted by her mere innocence. And, truly, it was not at all hard to deduce that the girl was an innocent. All the women he had met thus far had not been as guiless, even if they had strived for it in their looks.

"I see that you've taken a liking toward my garden?" he found himself murmuring.

He saw her stiffen, and for a fleeting moment, he assumed he frightened her, but then, just as she had stilled, she relaxed and Hadrian breathed a sigh of relief.

She slowly turned to face him, maybe thinking he was perhaps ugly or abusive . . . why might she think that? He wondered.

She turned to fully face him and his breath halted as he gazed upon her face, never had he been so stupefied before as her perfect violet-grey eyes gazed up at him.

Her lips parted soundlessly and he had the strongest desire to take her mouth with his. He forced himself to look away and observed the rest of her. Her comely hair tied up in a chignon. A few soft blonde curls had loosened with the breeze.

She was wearing a corseted, blush coloured gown that fit the soft, round curves of her body, giving her a mature look to her youthfulness. Her shawl was light gray and graceful upon her shoulder and . . . well, put simply, she was beautiful.

"Your Grace, my apologies," she said softly, Hadrian wanted to close his eyes with pleasure; at the sound of her soothing voice.

As he gazed at the young beauty he found himself thinking that perhaps their marriage arrangement might work out after all.

__________________________

Hey, another update, the other chapter was too short, but it was an introduction . . . whatever, I just want you guys to get another chapter before you decide if I should continue or not!

Please vote comment and fan!!

Thanks!!