Chapter 4 (Pic of Leia Edmond)

Chapter 4

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

Rhea was sitting at her writing desk and staring at the blank sheet in placed in front of her. She was so ashamed of her actions towards Lord Vale that she decided to express her apologies through a letter.

But what was she to write? She couldn't even look the man in his face? How was she to compose a letter requesting for forgiveness?

She looked out upon the field that the Hemmingway's owned in the back. It was a beautiful landscape. She had remembered painting such a serene scene. The trees blew with the wind and rustled among each other. The lake was broad and full of life. Winter had finally passed and it made the outdoors look lively and welcoming. At the moment, she longed to frolick in the gardens, but there were matters she had to attend to that did not allow for such freedom.

A knock sounded on her door. "Come in." she called out, not looking to see who it is.

"Are you ready for mornin' ride?" her maid, Lily, asked. Rhea turned to smile.

"Yes. I presume Lady Edmond awaits?" Rhea asked, moving to the screen to change.

"Yes, milady." Lily agreed.

"When I'm gone, Lily, please find me my paints and put them in the yellow room. I believe I'll be occupying that room 'til the eve." Rhea murmured. Lily nodded and left as soon as she girded Rhea with her riding habit.

Lily followed Rhea until they came into view of the parlor. "Oh and Lily?" Lily turned to meet her lady's eyes. "Don't tell my parents where I am to be today."

Lily nodded and scurried out. Rhea had still did not resume speaking with her father and mother. She couldn't believe they had lied to her. Would it have mattered if they told the truth? Would it have changed anything?

Rhea sighed. It probably would, but she respected her parents enough to follow along with their wishes. She was not one to defy, she was honorable.

She had avoided her father and mother at all costs, she simply wasn't ready to see them as of yet. It still hurt that Lord Hemmingway wanted to sell his daughter for a political standing. Her heart was in obvious despair and the recalling of her father's words.

She even remembered Lord Vale's expression as he watched her something kindled to regret and . . . compassion?

She shook her head; she was not to dwell on the matter. Seeing Lady Edmond would surely lift her spirits. She was determined that it would, even if she had to force herself to do so.

She took a deep breath, calming herself before greeting her friend. She entered the parlor with a genuine smile. She did enjoy her friend's company. Leia always did know how to lift her up in times of need.

Leia was most definitely the strong one of the two. She had a strong spirit and a rebelliousness that Rhea is still pursuing to get rid of, but either way, she couldn't have asked for a better friend.

"Rhea!" Leia smiled as she greeted her childhood friend. The two embraced each other. "How have you been?"

"Awful. I've so much to tell you, Leia." Rhea sighed. "But let us not ruin such a beautiful day . . . I plan to use it wisely."

A mischievous look came upon her friend's eye. "How about we go down to the park? That handsome young man, Lord Ashwin, I believe, has an eye for you."