Chapter Five (bonus)

Zuko's POV:

After the paralysis that had taken effect on me wore off, Uncle paid the woman who owned the shirshu (although she barely helped us) and we headed off in search of the Avatar. As we walked I remembered the events of the battle. (Y/N) was alive. Not only that, but she was working with the Avatar. She even went out of her way to protect him and his stupid friends.

After so many years of believing she was either dead or in a fire nation prison, it was hard to come to terms with the fact that it was in fact her. She had changed a lot in the past years since she ran away from the palace, away from me. Her (h/c) hair had grown longer and she styled it differently than before. Her once bright eyes were now cool and calculated. But, the most shocking change was that of her fighting ability. Before, (Y/N) had never been one to fight and much rather preferred to read in the library. Today, she showed prowess in both offense and defense. She was even able to hold her own in a fight against me, someone who had been trained since childhood in combat and was a highly educated firebender.

I still had no idea as to why I chose not to use my firebending after discovering her identity. It's like the moment I realized it was her, all the fight in my body left and there was nothing to fuel my bending. I had tried to will myself but it felt as if my bending betrayed my mind and would not allow me to use it against her. It makes me feel weak. This girl who is a traitor to me, to my country and family, was able to stop me from using my bending? The idea was ridiculous.

"What is on your mind, Prince Zuko?" Uncle snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Nothing."

"Perhaps it is your sudden reunion with (Y/N)?" He gave me a look out of the corner of his eye, "I imagine it was difficult for you, fighting your beloved friend."

Him referring to her as my "beloved" made my whole body tense for some reason, "She is not my friend! She hasn't been since she betrayed us" I huffed, "She is working with the Avatar and protecting his water tribe friends, that makes her not only a traitor but an enemy of the nation."

Uncle sighed and did not speak anymore of it. Meanwhile, I tried my hardest to push down any memories about her that were trying to resurface. I had to remember that she was the enemy, she left me behind and never looked back. She has been out there, not even giving me a second thought while I have been stuck with her invading my mind everyday since she left.