Chapter 38

Sozin's Comet Part 4 - Finale

Sokka was first to rise, bracing himself against the hull of the ship before helping Toph to her feet. I grit my teeth together as I stood, stumbling a bit before planting my feet firmly onto the metal floor. Sokka nodded over to me before taking Toph's hands and dashing over to the middle of the airship. I followed closely behind, keeping an eye out for stray debris that could hit us.

"Toph, metalbend the rudder, so it's jammed in the turning position," Sokka halted his run, "The ship will spiral and slam into the others."

"Got it," she answered without hesitation.

She moved Sokka to stand beside me, out of the way of her metalbending. She spit on her hands to prepare herself before gripping the rudder firmly and pulling it to the side with a strained grunt. The ship veered off to the side and straight for the closest ship that was still intact. Sokka spread his legs to balance and grabbed my forearm so that we could help each other remain steady.

Sokka smiled over at Toph, "Have I ever mentioned how sweet it is that you invented metalbending?"

"You could stand to mention it more."

I heard a creak from beside us and looked over to see a guard peeking out of the hull. He spared no time in sending a searing blast of fire towards us. Sokka and Toph ran to the side of the ship, but I stayed back, dodging the continuous blasts sent by the armed guard.

"(Y/N) what are you doing?" Sokka turned and yelled over to me.

I grunted as I ducked to avoid another blast, "Just get to the side! I'll meet you over there when I'm done with this guy!"

I unsheathed my sickles and cartwheeled to avoid another blast. When I landed, I could see Sokka and Toph jump from the side of the ship and sent a quick prayer to the spirits that they'd be okay. I turned back to the guard just in time to roll to avoid a stream of fire he had sent my way. I crouched and used the momentum to push myself forward to get closer to my opponent. Once there, I kicked his arm to the side so that the blast he was getting ready to send hit missed me by a hair. We continued going back and forth, him trying to blast me and me dodging while trying to get some hits in. I slashed at him after getting close enough to land an incapacitating blow, but he moved the side quickly to where I just missed him. He took this opportunity to place a searing hand on my shoulder, burning through the fabric there and singing my skin. The pain left in its wake was unbearably hot and my skin throbbed from the burn. I remembered back to when Azula's blue flame had burned my arm, that fire had been hotter but was not placed directly on my skin. This pain was different from that and tears formed in my eyes as I cried out. The guard prepared to make a final blow, but I bared my teeth and screamed as I sent a high kick to the side of his head. He barely had time to regain his composure before I was slicing at him rapidly, pushing him closer and closer to the edge of the ship. He stumbled back and I dropped to the ground and used my arms to push myself legs-first towards him. The sting on my shoulder screamed at me to stop what I was doing, but I flew towards him and landed a harsh blow to his stomach, sending him hurling off the side of the airship and landing with a 'splash' in the water below.

I spared no time in rushing over to the other side of the ship to reunite with Sokka and Toph. When I made it to the side, my eyes widened as another airship came slamming into the side of the one we were on. I looked down and saw the figures of my two friends below, jumping onto the other ship that had just crashed into us. I braced myself and jumped, my adrenaline pumping as I fell down and onto the hull of the other ship. I landed in a crouched position before righting myself and whipping around in search of my friends. I spotted them and noticed Sokka laying on the ground and clutching his leg.