Chapter 10

"I can't believe it, I know the war has spread far but Omashu always seemed . . . untouchable," Aang spoke solemnly as we all looked at the city before us. Before now, the idea of being safe in Omashu was the only thing keeping everyone's spirits up, but now all that hope vanished at the sight of the conquered city.

Sokka added, "Up until now it was. Now Ba Sing Se is the only great earth kingdom stronghold left."

"This is horrible," Katara walked to where Aang stood, "But we have to move on."

"No, I'm going in to find Bumi."

"Aang stop," Sokka tried to reason, "We don't even know if Bumi's still . . ."

"What? If he's still what?"

"Around," Sokka trailed off.

"I know you had your heart set on Bumi, but there are other people who can teach you earth bending," Katara suggested but I knew Aang wasn't going to leave his friend behind. Aang wasn't anything if not loyal to a fault.

"This isn't about finding a teacher. This is about finding my friend."

Aang led us all to a small ledge on the side of the mountain that Omashu rested upon. He flew to the top of the opening of a large sewer.

"A secret passage? Why didn't we just use this last time?" Sokka complained. Aang took the lid off of the opening and a bunch of sewer-water soaked me, Sokka, and Katara.

"Does that answer your question?" Aang smiled before running into the sewer.

I hesitantly placed my feet in the murky sewage water, "This is disgusting."

We all made our way through the sludge. Aang used his airbending to keep the sewage from getting in his way, and Katara used her waterbending to push all of the sewage Aang sent towards her, behind her. I walked very closely behind Katara so that no sewage would get on me. Sokka was not so lucky and was taking the blunt force of all the sewage water the benders threw behind them as they walked.

We found a ladder up to a sewer grate and Aang made sure the coast was clear before he jumped out. The sweet sensation of fresh non-stinky air was welcomed as Katara helped me to my feet. It was now nightfall and the city street where we stood was deserted as everyone had most likely turned in for the night.

"That wasn't as bad as I thought," Katara remarked as she removed what little sewage-water had gotten on our clothes.

Suddenly, a groaning sound came from the sewer we just exited and what appeared to be a sewer monster clambered out of the hole in the ground. Katara took some water from a nearby jug and splashed the creature, revealing it to be Sokka. Aang then used his airbending to remove whatever remained on him. Sokka stood there, deadpanned with two small, purple pentapus attached to his cheeks. He began to scream and tried to pull them off, to no use. I got the sense this was going to go nowhere before walking up to him.

"Quit yelling. It's just a little pentapus," I tickled the side of one of them and it immediately let go, leaving small purple spots on Sokka's cheek. He sighed and rubbed his cheek as I gestured for him to do the same thing I did on the other pentapus, "All you have to do is tickle its side and it will let go. Go on, try it."

He raised his hand up and lightly tickled the creature, and I grabbed it from him and threw it back into the sewer, "Hey! What are you kids doing out past curfew?" Three large fire nation guards made their way over to where we stood.

Aang covered his tattoos quickly and Katara explained, "Sorry, we were just on our way home."

We all turned around and began to walk away before the main guard stopped us, "Wait what's the matter with him?"