Chapter 17

The train carried us through the many walls of the earth kingdom. I watched the sprawling landscape rush past us as I looked out the window. I shifted my gaze to the kids around me. They were all understandably worn out from the battle that had taken place only a few hours ago and I could tell they were growing bored from our train ride. I, however, welcomed the slight change in pace. The past few weeks have been non-stop with us running from Azula, fleeing a crumbling library, and trying to get out of a scorching desert, not to mention the events that have taken place these past few days. I was hoping that the few days we spent in Ba Sing Se would allow us some time for much needed rest and relaxation.

"Look, the inner wall," Katara exclaimed, causing everyone's heads to jerk up at the relief of us reaching our destination, "I can't believe we finally made it to Ba Sing Se in one piece."

Sokka spoke quickly, making a 'stop' motion with his hand towards his sister, "Hey, don't jinx it! We could still be attacked by some giant, exploding Fire Nation spoon. Or find out the city's been submerged in an ocean of killer shrimp."

"Have you been hitting the cactus juice again," I asked, jokingly, with an eyebrow raised.

Sokka shrugged, "I'm just sayin'. Weird stuff happens to us."

As if on cue, a man walked past with an entire ear of what looked like corn in his mouth, before he decided to settle himself between me and Sokka. I grimaced, the man smelled of corn as well and he began chomping on his snack loudly. I crossed over and sat beside Aang, using the excuse of wanting to talk to him to get away from the corn-man without being blatantly rude.

Aang looked at his lap, I could tell he was worrying about Appa. I placed a hand on his knee, "Don't worry Aang, we'll find Appa."

"It's such a big city . . ." Aang sounded so dull as he spoke. I was really hoping we were able to find Appa soon, I hated seeing him like this and I was beginning to worry about Appa's safety myself.

Sokka followed my lead from earlier and came up to Aang, joining the conversation, "He's a giant bison. Where could someone possibly hide him?"

The train went into the inner wall, on the other side of the small tunnel through it lay the large expanse that was the city of Ba Sing Se. The city's buildings littered as far as the eye could see, all of them tightly compacted together and bustling with life.. It was the biggest city I had ever seen, it made the Fire National Capital look tiny in comparison.

The train came to a rolling stop at the ornate building that was the train station. We all walked off the train and took a moment to observe the city before us. Toph was the first to speak, "Back in the city. Great."

"What's the problem, it's amazing," Sokka exclaimed, his eyes shining as he looked upon the bright city.

"Just a bunch of walls and rules," Toph explained as she pet Momo, "You wait, you'll get sick of it in a couple of days."

Aang walked forward and blew his bison whistle, when nothing happened Katara placed a hand on his shoulder. Aang spoke confidently, "He's here, I can feel it."

Just then, a large screeching was heard as the train we were once on left the station. We all turned to look and near the tracks, facing us, stood a slender woman in traditional earth kingdom dress. What was more striking than her traditional clothing was her creepy smile that was plastered across her face. It seemed to extend almost the entire expanse of the bottom of her face and made me shiver.

She walked forward, her hands behind her back, "Hello, my name is Joo Dee. I have been given the great honor of showing the Avatar around Ba Sing Se," she smiled at Aang before turning to the rest of us, "And you must be Sokka, Katara, Toph, and (Y/N). Welcome to our wonderful city. Shall we get started?"