Chapter 16

Only thirty minutes had passed since Aang had left before we spotted him gliding towards us. He landed swiftly, a panicked expression on his face as we all rushed to meet him.

"Aang, what are you doing here," Katara questioned, "I thought you were looking for Appa?"

Aang spoke seriously, "I was, but something stopped me – something big."

Aang didn't explain more as he led us to the side of the wall to Ba Sing Se. Toph created a platform of rock which carried us up the side of the wall like a makeshift elevator.

"Now, what's so big that Appa has to wait," Sokka crossed his arms.

Aang pointed to the side, "That."

We all turned our gaze to where he pointed and my eyes widened in shock at the sheer size of the drill-like machine that was heading straight for the outer wall of Ba Sing Se. Not only was the machine huge, it was moving at an impeccable speed for a machine of that size. Steam billowed out of the end of it as it made its way closer and closer to the wall.

"We made it to Ba Sing Se and we're still not safe. No one is," Ying commented as her family huddled together.

"What are you people doing here," we turned to see two men in uniform making their way towards us, "Civilians aren't allowed on the wall."

Aang spoke without hesitation and with conviction, "I'm the Avatar. Take me to whoever's in charge."
The soldiers didn't hesitate and before we knew it we were all standing before the general. "It is an honor to welcome you to the Outer Wall, young Avatar," the general paused before continuing, "But your help is not needed."

"Not needed?"

"Not needed," the general repeated, matter-of-factly, "I have the situation under control. I assure you, the Fire Nation cannot penetrate this wall. Many have tried to break through it, but none have succeeded."

"What about the Dragon of the West," I smirked, remembering Iroh's great military feat, "He got in."

The general stuttered, "Well technically, yes. But he was quickly expunged."

I felt my heart pang when the general said that, remembering the death of Iroh's son during the siege of Ba Sing Se. I remembered the day Iroh returned from his defeat so vividly. Everyone in the castle had gossiped about how he was a failure, especially Azula. None took the time to think about the fact that Iroh lost his only child in that battle. Even though I was young, I remember seeing the light that had once occupied Iroh's eyes fade. It broke my heart to see the man who had been there for me for so long in pain. It took years for that light to return. Iroh was always like the father I never had, he taught me how to play Pai Sho, to make a decent cup of tea, and was always attentive to me when I rambled on about a new book I had read.

As these thoughts and memories flashed through my mind, I found myself missing the old man a lot. I hoped that he was okay and that Zuko was able to find a way to heal his injuries from Azula's strike. I had to keep my worry pushed to the back of my mind for the past week or so, but now I began to worry about him. I silently wished that, by some miraculous act of fate, we would run into him again. Just so I could make sure he's okay.

I was brought back into the present as the GAang and the general began walking to the side of the wall to peer over the edge. I followed and listened as the general explained, "To stop it, I've sent an elite platoon of earthbenders called the Terra Team."

"That's a good group name, very catchy," Sokka remarked.

We all watched as the Terra Team began using their bending to try and take out the drill. They created pillars of rock to try and hold the drill in place, but they all crumbled after seconds. Then, two figures slid down the side of the drill. We couldn't make out who they were from so high up, but we all watched dumbfounded as a single person took out the entire team.