Chapter 33

I heard a large explosion and immediately shot up in bed. I quickly pulled a shirt on and practically ran out of my room. Once I exited the doorframe, I noticed everyone else had awoken to the large blast as well, peeking their heads out of their rooms and making their way outside. I followed everyone and Zuko rushed in front of me, holding his hand out to make sure I stayed behind him. Once we made it outside, I saw Aang standing by the edge of the fountain. I didn't have to wonder what he was looking at for long, as three Fire Nation war balloons were making their way towards us. One of the balloons shot a large bomb to the right of where we all stood, hitting a small bridge nearby. Aang used his airbending to close off the room around us. The walls and ground shook as more and more bombs were sent in our direction.

I looked around the room, trying to figure out how we were supposed to get out of here and making sure no one was standing too close to the walls. I heard crumbling above my head and looked up just in time to see a large piece of the ceiling falling right above me. My eyes widened and I felt someone tackle me out of the way. They held my waist and got behind me, cushioning the blow as we landed and skid on the floor harshly. I fell onto my stomach and shifted my head slightly to see Zuko laying on top of me, his stomach pressed to my back, using his body to shield me from the debris. I cursed my cheeks for heating up, seeing as this was no time to be flustered.

I cleared my throat, "Thank you, Zuko." I immediately wanted to throw myself off the side of the mountain from how meek and breathless my voice sounded.

"Anytime," he smirked down at me, his eyes soft. I wanted him to keep looking at me like that. I wanted to pause the moment for just a little longer to relish in the feeling of his sweet gaze. But more explosions were being thrown at us and I knew we had to get out of here. I gently broke free of his hold, lifting him up after I stood and keeping hold of his hand as we ran towards where Haru and Toph had made an escape tunnel.

"Come on, we can get out through here!" Toph called out to everyone.

I heard Appa groaning loudly and turned behind me to see Aang struggling to get him to go into the cave. I let go of Zuko's hand, rushing forward to help Aang pull Appa into the cave. The bison was resisting to the best of his ability and I saw Zuko walk behind Appa, facing where the bombs were being shot from.

"What are you doing?" Aang asked, pausing his struggle with Appa.

Zuko glanced back at us, "Go ahead, I'll hold them off. I think this is a family visit."

"Zuko!" I yelled after him, but he ignored me and ran towards the balloons. I moved to run after him, but Sokka grabbed my shoulder and held me back. "Sokka, let me go!"
"No, (Y/N), we've gotta get out of here. Zuko can handle himself." I knew he was right about both things, so I pushed my worry to the side and focused on helping Aang, Sokka, and Katara pull at Appa's reins.

"I can't get him to go in there! Appa hates tunnels!" Aang yelled over Appa's groans of protest.

Katara continued pulling the reins, "Aang, there's no way we can fly out of here."
"We'll have to find a way!"

We let go of Appa's reins and Sokka sighed, "We need to split up." He ran over to where everyone else was waiting, "Take the tunnel and get to the stolen airship."

"No," Katara spoke defiantly. "The Fire Nation can't separate our family again."

Hakoda took hold of her shoulders, "It'll be okay. It's not forever."

Katara gave him a quick, but tight hug and rushed back over to us. Sokka gave him a similar hug and grabbed Suki's hand, bringing her over to where the rest of the GAang stood. Hakoda met my eyes and nodded. I nodded back, mentally assuring him I'd make sure we got out of here safe. They all ran deeper into the cave and we all began hastily boarding Appa. I pulled myself onto the saddle and then helped Suki get onboard.