Chapter 20

ZUKO POV

It was another day at the tea shop, this one in particular was especially boring as (Y/N) had not shown up for her visit yet. I hoped she got here soon so she could relieve some of my boredom.

"So you're the genius behind this incredible brew," I heard a man speak from my place in the kitchen and went to the entryway to see what was going on. Three men had approached Uncle and I warily watched as they continued, "The whole city is buzzing about you! I hope Pao pays you well."

"Good tea is its own reward," Uncle conceded and I deadpanned. We were definitely not being paid well enough in this place.

The man who seemed to be in charge smirked, "But it doesn't have to be the only reward. How would you like to have your own tea shop?"

"My own tea shop? This is a dream come true," Iroh gushed and I felt myself fighting a smile at his happiness. Spirits, what is happening to me. I went back into the kitchen as Pao tried to win Iroh back and keep him from taking the other man's offer. I busied myself with pouring the next table's tea and made my way over to them with the tray in in hand

After serving them, I cleared off another table and heard the man remark, "I'll provide you with a new apartment in the Upper Ring. The tea shop is your to do whatever you want, complete creative freedom."

"I even get to name the shop," Uncle questioned, excitedly. Pao made one last attempt at winning him back but Iroh handed him his teapot and bowed to the men before him, accepting their offer. He then turned to me as I passed with the tray of dishes, "You hear that nephew? This man wants to give us our own tea shop in the Upper Ring of the city. We'll even be closer to (Y/N) since that's where she's staying with her rich friend! You two will have even more time together now!"

I felt heat rush to the tips of my ears and my hands start to sweat. I scoffed, playing it off sarcastically, "I'll try to contain my joy". I set my tray down on the table by the door and left to get a breath of fresh air (well at least as fresh as you could get in the Lower Ring).

I sighed and propped my back up against the wall of the shop. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little grateful for this change in scenery. This place was disgusting, I deserved better than this crummy low-rate part of the city. Now we'd be living in luxury in the Upper Ring. It was also true what Uncle said about being able to see (Y/N) more. Since we had declared each other as friends the other night, things were now not awkward between us at all and we are slowly making our way back to how we used to be. Though, a small part of me was dreading the thought of seeing her around even more everyday. I was glad to be talking again and to have my friend back, but everytime she was around I started acting . . . weird.

Like the other day when she laughed so hard at one of Uncle's jokes she started snorting. I swear I had some kind of spasm because I felt my breath fall short and my chest swell. Then, she brushed her hand against mine when she grabbed her tea yesterday and I felt my knees go weak and light-headed. I think I'm coming down with something. I hadn't felt this way in years and it was especially strange how it only came about when (Y/N) was near. Maybe she was sick and infecting me?

I stared up at the sky, trying to connect my symptoms together and think of what I could have. Maybe the flu? Or Pentapox? I heard of some people in Omashu contracting that, maybe someone brought it over here. My thoughts were interrupted when a small paper flew in front of my face. I grabbed it, immediately recognizing the animal drawn on it. The Avatar's flying bison. My eyes widened and I looked to the sky for any sign of him. I climbed on the roof to get a vantage point and scanned all over the city before climbing back down when I couldn't spot him. I glanced back down at the flier in my hands. The Avatar was in Ba Sing Se.