Chapter 49 (Tobias POV)

After I leave Tris alone at my house, I speed off to the hospital, ready to teach Caleb why he shouldn't hurt Tris.

I burst through the front doors, getting some mean or weird glares from other people that are around, but I don't care. I take the elevator and go up to the 10th floor, and start searching for Caleb.

"CALEB!" I shout furiously.

I turn a corner and see him, crying into his knees. I pull him up by his arm, and he winces because my nails are digging into his skin.

"Tobias!" He says shakily.

"Don't say anything unless you want to get beaten harder!" I hiss.

I pull him outside and start punching him repetitively in the face, and he somehow reaches for my face and cuts my lip, and I punch harder. His face soon becomes a sickly purple-blue color and his face is swollen from the bruises. He's coughing up blood, and I hit him in the gut, and he wheezes before his body stops moving. I take his body and sit him in the waiting room and leave him there.

My knuckles are sore and the cut on my lip stings. My rage soon vanishes, and I don't have that guilty feeling. I don't like being cruel or savagely violent unless I have to or feel the need to, which isn't very often.

I pull into the driveway, and I notice a pile of blonde hair in the lawn.

What the hell?

I quickly run into my house, and find someone looking out of the window.

"Umm..., hello?" I say after a while.

She turns around, and I'm shocked. It's Tris. I feel like an idiot for not knowing who it was, but I didn't recognize or realize her without her long blonde locks.

She still looks beautiful.

"Tris." I say, sounding quite surprised.

"Hey." She says quietly.

"You cut your hair." I state.

"Well duh, Captain Obvious." She says teasing me.

"Well it's different." I say before lightly laughing with her.

"You don't like it?" She asks.

"No, I do. I like it a lot actually, I'm just surprised that's all." I say before I smile at her.

She lifts her hand and touches her fingertips lightly to my mouth. Her fingers are soft, curious.

"Tris. I'm all right."

"What happened?" She asks softly.

"Remember why I left you alone?" I ask. Her eyes widen and her mouth forms an 'o' shape. Realization.

"What did you do to him?"

"I left him in the hospital after we fought. He'll live. In what condition, I can't say."

"Good."

I pull her into my arms and hug her tightly, not wanting to end this embrace. I run my fingers through her short hair, and I smile. I wipe her tears from her eyes and kiss her gently, and she lightly shoves me on the bed and climbs onto my lap.

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Tobias, we've done this before. Why not?" She asks like, sounding genuinely confused.

"Just because lots of things have happened and-" she cuts me off by kissing me and taking off her vest. Exposing her gorgeous physique. Tone and feminine, and soft.